Darkest book you've ever read

Bakku

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:22 pm
Ray wrote:
Quote:
Ray: There's a lot that's dark about The Martian Chronicles, but it ends with a glimmer of hope as the last remaining humans accept their new identity as Martians. Brave New World also, but I'm surprised 1984 didn't top the list. Not only does it portray a dark and hopeless world, but its main character, after learning the truth and rebelling against it, is made to 'learn' and internalize the 'reality' of Big Brother.

I haven't read 1984 yet... I've been told repeatedly that it's frustrating.

I was unaware that there's a glimmer of hope at the end of a Brave New World... The thing that disturbs me the most was near the end where the savage kept whipping himself and then all the other people was looking at him and imitating him...

Brave New World wasn't as disturbing for me because I hated the savage. He was just so stubborn and narrow minded....The whole pain infliction thing and the "I'd much rather be miserable'-thing just made me so annoyed.
Also, I heard that American Psycho is really twisted. I haven't read it, but someone who did said that it made them have nightmares.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:14 pm
Ray: If you can read and comprehend The Martian Chronicles and Brave New World, then you won't have any trouble with 1984. I mistyped with regard to 'glimmer of hope' in BNW--I was thinking of the fact that, despite how tightly controlled society was, they still had a place for nonconformists to do their own thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:48 pm
1984 is frustrating? Easy read in my memory, as was Brave New World, though I read those a long time ago. Not that they are not significant. But not killer reads.

Hmmm. Is a book frustrating if you have to keep talking back to it? Many times that is a sign of a keeper, when a dialog with the book and yourself gets a footing.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:24 pm
Not the reading difficulty, but just the whole story.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 11:13 pm
Hmm, 1984 frustrating . . .

You should read the book, find out for yourself, and let us know what you think, Ray.

It is a lucid, and deftly written book.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:44 am
I found the Pleiadian Agenda worse than the Bible. And I'm still reading the Recronomicon.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:54 am
crime fiction by sir arthur conan doyle and featuring none other than the brilliant sherlock holmes:

The hound of the baskervilles
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:31 am
I agree with BVT. The Bible is one of the most pessimistic, darkest books I have ever read. Yes, there are works of fiction that are darker, but the difference is that many people take what is written in the Bible seriously, and literally. THAT is scary!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:45 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree with BVT. The Bible is one of the most pessimistic, darkest books I have ever read. Yes, there are works of fiction that are darker, but the difference is that many people take what is written in the Bible seriously, and literally. THAT is scary!

True Phoenix, that is very scary!
0 Replies

Bakku

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:11 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

True Phoenix, that is very scary!
I was watching a christian channel once for the heck of it, and they had a really smiley middle aged woman with a little child, about 10 years or so, and the woman had these huge picks--about a foot or so in length. She was saying to the child something like,
'And do you know how they stuck him up to the cross, Timmy?'
'Nails...'
'Yes, and they were this big. {smiley face} And they put them through his wrists, like this...'
Then she made a gesture of inserting the picks throught the kid's wrist.

Seriously. Messed. Up.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:15 pm
Hopefully they were trying to show how horrible it was...
0 Replies

Bakku

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 06:02 pm
Ray wrote:
Hopefully they were trying to show how horrible it was...
I hope so...
Christians really creep me out. Especially the asian girls on college campuses that keep preaching to you about how Christ will save you once you open your soul to him, and how men and women were created to "take care of the animals" (don't ask)
0 Replies

dovle

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:52 am
Mills75 wrote:
Ray: Brave New World also, but I'm surprised 1984 didn't top the list. Not only does it portray a dark and hopeless world, but its main character, after learning the truth and rebelling against it, is made to 'learn' and internalize the 'reality' of Big Brother.

And, if you have mentioned the 1984, it came to my mind that "Animal's Farm" it's also a dark novel, with betrayal and all that stuff. And, if you have also seen the Cartoon, you might know what I am talking about... yes, I am a big child but I am not afraid to admit it Smile
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:12 pm
dovle wrote:
And, if you have mentioned the 1984, it came to my mind that "Animal's Farm" it's also a dark novel, with betrayal and all that stuff. And, if you have also seen the Cartoon, you might know what I am talking about... yes, I am a big child but I am not afraid to admit it Smile

Animal Farm is dark, but it ends with a sense that at least some of the denizens of the farm realize what has happened (yes, they're oppressed, but at least they have their own minds as some sort of refuge). The truly dark and disturbing thing about 1984 is that the man who had realized the truth was made to exchange it for Big Brother's truth; what's more, the replacement of traditional language with newspeak, which is designed to eventually limit and control human thought absolutely, is progressing rapidly.

(And yes, the cartoon version of Animal Farm was very dark and I'm not afraid to admit I watched it, either. :wink:)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:08 pm
The time for 1984 has begun.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:35 pm
One of the features of INGSOC, Oceania's ruling party, was the contunual rewite of history to suite the party's political ends.

Winston Smith, the novel's protagonist worked in that capacity, as a re-writer at the party's Ministry of Truth.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:45 pm
Thats nothing new in our history. It has happened in the past, and I would not be surprised if it continues to happen.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:04 am
This administration is better at Newspeak than any other! It's impressive!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:27 pm
Quote:
I hope so...
Christians really creep me out. Especially the asian girls on college campuses that keep preaching to you about how Christ will save you once you open your soul to him, and how men and women were created to "take care of the animals" (don't ask)

The last part is weird, but I have once believed in that because if I remember correctly, it's basically stating that people have been given the right to eat other species of animals as food, but of course not to torture them, so it's not as disturbing as some stuffs I heard about dying and having to die to receive Christ etc Mad . The asian Christian girls don't creep me out really, because they're usually nice and most that I met acknowledges human rights. Plus, my relatives are sort of liberal Christians that doesn't talk or probably believe about the disturbing stuffs.

To tell you the truth, most Christians are nice people. It's always the fanatics that disturb me.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:30 pm
I agree with Mills on Animal Farm. The ending showed the awareness of the animals of what is going on. I'm not sure when 1984 was written, but De-stalinization was officially made in 1956 (?) in the Soviet's 20th congress.
0 Replies