Is a 2nd Associates degree (combined with a Bachelors) worth it or a waste of time?

ak00760

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 03:43 pm
Here's my predicament:
Through my employer, I am eligible to take free community college classes at no limit. Over the summer I completed my Associates (of Applied Business) in Business Management. I have 13 classes left to take to complete my Bachelors of Business Admin (unfortunately, I'm paying for this one completely); I'm at 81 credits out of the 120 so to minimize costs, I'm taking 3 of the classes required, for free at the community college and transferring them over when this semester is done in December - which will bring me to my 90 credit transfer max and leave me with only 10 classes to bang out which I plan on doing by June. However, I realized that the 3 classes I am taking, along with a lot that I have already taken, fulfill about 2/3 of the program requirements to complete a second Associates in Accounting. After this semester, I'd have 6 more (free) classes to take and I could earn my 2nd Associates - which I could do at my leisure or even after my Bachelors is complete. If I had to pay for the 2nd Associates, I'd never even consider this, but since it's free and I'm so close, it sounds like it could be a good idea - My question is, is it worth it for me to pursue a 2nd Associates in Accounting - on top of the Associates in Management and Bachelors in Business Admin?

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 05:02 am
@ak00760,
Only if you plan to go into accounting. It sounds like you already have a pretty good base in accounting, so if you ended up supervising accountants in the future, you would be competent to do so. Is there a specific career aspiration that you think this would help you with?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 10:32 am
@ak00760,
I think if your employer is paying for it, and you don't mind taking the classes and doing the work, sure, why not?

When you ask "is it worth it?" What do you mean exactly? It's not the cost, so is there a problem with the time it would take? You say you're "so close". Would you feel like you wasted your time so far by stopping so close to your goal?

You may very well decide after you get an Assoc in Accounting you might want to pursue a Bachelors.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 09:49 pm
@ak00760,
Yes, do it. Professional development, personal interest, employability, keeps you out of A2K until you report back with your success story.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is a 2nd Associates degree (combined with a Bachelors) worth it or a waste of time?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:06:49