Cats with opposeable thumbs - the end for us?

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:47 pm
That bein' the case, why do your plants have to testify?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:32 pm
Huh??????
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:21 am
OK! Enough of all this theoretical twaddle about what cats could possibly do in the future. Let's get down to some basic FACTS regarding their past evolution, and bring some good old fashioned provable Science regarding their past evolution into this thread.
In Terry Pratchett's Scientific work "The Unadulterated Cat", he has proved beyond doubt that a minor, but special part of their evolution has done more for the cats survival than any other.
They have tuned in to this talent, and have got it down to a fine art.

What other animal gets fed, not because it is useful, or guards the house, or sings, but because when it DOES get fed, it looks pleased? And purrs!
The purr is very important. It's the purr that does it every time. It's the purr that makes up for the mysterious objects found under the bed, the occasional pungency and the 4am yowling.

Other creatures went in for the big teeth, long legs, or over active brains, while cats just settled for a noise that tells the world they're feeling happy.
Cats learned to evolve in a world designed initially by nature but in practise by humans.
They have learned that the purr means "make me happy, and I'll make you happy". The advertising industry took centuries to cotton on to that beguiling truth, but when it did, it sold an awful lot of Cabbage Patch Dolls.
You've got to hand it to cats. If you dont, they will wait until your back is turned and take it anyway.
And then there is the part of their evolution that was brought about by mans intervention, which resulted in the Schrodinger Cat................
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:33 am
Where's the umlaut?

I have to admit - the purr is damn good.

I wish I could do it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:27 am
Did you see that study that having a purring cat on your lap helps your bone density? (No comment, LE.)

I'll see if I can find it...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:31 am
Quote:
Revealed: how purrs are secret to cats' nine lives
By David Harrison, Environment Correspondent, http://www.telegraph.co.uk
SCIENTISTS have discovered that the purring of cats is a "natural healing mechanism" that has helped inspire the myth that they have nine lives.
None lives: wounded cats purr because it helps their bones and organs to heal Wounded cats - wild and domestic - purr because it helps their bones and organs to heal and grow stronger, say researchers who have analysed the purring of different feline species. This, they say, explains why cats survive falls from high buildings and why they are said to have "nine lives". Exposure to similar sound frequencies is known to improve bone density in humans.
The scientists, from the Fauna Communications Research Institute in North Carolina, found that between 27 and 44 hertz (a measure of the number of cycles per second) was the dominant frequency for a house cat, and 20-50Hz for the puma, ocelot, serval, cheetah and caracal. This reinforces studies confirming that exposure to frequencies of 20-50Hz strengthens human bones and helps them to grow.
Dr Elizabeth von Muggenthaler, the president of the institute, said: "Old wives' tales usually have a grain of truth behind them and cats do heal very quickly. The healing power of purring seems to explain their 'nine lives'." The scientists say that sound waves created at a particular frequency trigger the healing process in feline bones. Purring is believed to have a similar effect to ultrasound treatment on humans. Dr von Muggenthaler said: "We are starting to solve a 3,000-year-old mystery as to why cats purr. e next phase will be to explain the mechanics of the process."
Almost all cats purr, including lions and cheetahs, though not tigers. Dr von Muggenthaler said that purring had to be advantageous to a cat to survive natural selection, but there seemed to be no obvious advantage for a cat merely to display contentment. A natural capacity for increasing bone growth and strength and reducing healing time was, however, "clearly advantageous".
Cats' ability to survive and recover quickly after falling from tall buildings is well documented. One recent study, published in The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, found that out of 132 cats that fell an average of 5.5 storeys, 90 per cent survived, including one that fell 45 storeys.
Other scientific teams are researching whether "sound treatment" could be used to halt osteoporosis and even renew bone growth in post-menopausal women. Dr David Purdie, from Hull University's centre for metabolic bone disease, said that the human skeleton needs stimulation or it begins to leak calcium and weaken. "Purring could be the cat's way of providing that stimulation for its own bones."
He said that it was difficult to devise physical exercises for old people suffering from osteoporosis and speculated that it might be possible to create a mechanism to use cats' purring to help strengthen elderly bones.

http://www.kittencare.com/Special_Cat_News.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:50 am
<learn something new on a2k all the time...>
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 11:06 am
So the logical pilot study would be to survey crazy old cat ladies, check their bone density, and compare it to that of crazy old ladies in similar circumstances who lack cats.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 01:18 pm
There ya go. Your Ph.D thesis?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 02:25 pm
Cats are the ultimate psychopaths. They would elevate the Hare like nobody's business.

Parasitic lifestyle? Check.
Superficially charming? Check.
Lack of empathy? Check.

Please don't give 'em thumbs!

(Or blow them up to house size a la Star Trek. God what a cheesy episode.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 02:49 pm
Can someone kick Drew Dad off the thread?

I don't have opposeable thumbs either - and I need all my paws fpr typing.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:59 pm
Drew Dad is just what this hare-brained thread needs . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:02 pm
Kick for Setanta!!!!

Anyone?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:05 pm
Every time i go into town
The boys start kickin' my dog around
Don't make no difference if she is a hound
They'd better stop kickin' my dog around . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:22 pm
You are a person - it was your posterior, not your pooch, that I was seeking assistance with.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:26 pm
Um. You don't know what to do with Setanta's posterior, deb? Well, at least ehBeth will be glad to hear it. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:35 pm
Will no one wid me of this twoublesome wabbit ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:37 pm
<pulling up a chair for the show>

<has anyone else on this board talked to both Setanta and the wascally wabbit? it's really adding to my enjoyment, knowing the voices>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:43 pm
Did you bwing any tasty snacks, you need to contwibute, you know . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:45 pm
Do lamb chops count as tasty snacks?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:03:07