Cats with opposeable thumbs - the end for us?

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:31 pm
http://www.exhilarateddespair.com/album/albums/userpics/10003/normal_badcats.jpg
Quote:
Opposable thumbs! That's for the servants! Play with some wool and a daft tail-less ape will bring you a bowl of milk!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - but how would they (cats) change with opposeable thumbs?

Likely become couch potatoes:

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/images/while_youre_gone.jpg

Why??????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:32 pm
littlek wrote:
<just like a bunny, changing the subject>

C'mon - this isn't the bigotry thread - I am on a whole other thread for that - I think it is somewhere in Politics....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
Because they could change the channels at will!

Animal Planet, woman!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Mr Stillwater wrote:
http://www.exhilarateddespair.com/album/albums/userpics/10003/normal_badcats.jpg
Quote:
Opposable thumbs! That's for the servants! Play with some wool and a daft tail-less ape will bring you a bowl of milk!

Milk upsets their tummies!
0 Replies

littlek

<sigh>

Geez louise!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:35 pm
sozobe wrote:

Animal Planet, woman!!!

Hmmm - there is something in that - AND they can see TV - unlike dumb dogs (sorry 'k - but this IS a cat thread....)

So - the opposeable thumb might cause them to de, rather than e volve, you think?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:38 pm
Yes, I think their new powers would be used for the elevation of their cardinal virtues: sloth, gluttony, and human-manipulating. This would result in weight gain and shorter lifespans, mostly. Though our lives would undoubtedly be made more miserable (see cardinal virtue #3.)

(I do SO like cats!)
0 Replies

littlek

I, for one, as I said at the bottom of page 2 (nemmind the bad typo), think cats would evolve at least enough to feed them selves and clean their boxes.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

dlowan wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Animal Planet, woman!!!

Hmmm - there is something in that - AND they can see TV - unlike dumb dogs (sorry 'k - but this IS a cat thread....)

So - the opposeable thumb might cause them to de, rather than e volve, you think?

Any creature that has gone from living a tenuous existence in the Egyptian marshes to being pampered in the houses of it's former victims* is well and truely on the evolution road!!

*former! Who are we kidding! It never ends!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:39 pm
Feed themselves, agree. Clean their litter boxes, no no no... far beneath them. See, again, #3.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:40 pm
Get Monkey-Boy to do it!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:40 pm
I dunno, we could lock up their food if they don't clean their box.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:42 pm
But then they'd get the key -- or if they didn't, would human-manipulate until we dropped that tragically inefficient method. (Pee in your bed for a while, perhaps, or in your brand-new shoes...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:43 pm
Oh - but 'k - boxes? - would they not just open the door and wee and **** outside, as their wee botties seem to crave to do?

I mean - they go for dirt every time - as my pot plants testify - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Soz - those are NOT the cardinal virtues of cats!

Curiosity
Playfulness
Beauty
Devotion (I canNOT sit anywhere without mine following and cuddling up)
My Miranda eats one kibble nut a day, as far as I can see - so they ain't all gluttons (Oscar is, i will give you that.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:46 pm
Ah, excellent point about just going outside already. Opposable thumbs would mean the end of litter boxes, likely. And the end of cat flaps! Just open the door and saunter out!

So then -- here's the thing -- where would they choose to live if they could live anywhere?

I adored my cats and they adored me, but I think they would have preferred to each have a spacious, sunny little villa that I visited often.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:49 pm
..unless I was on the telephone, and then they'd move into control mode...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:06 pm
I think they would like forests, sunny lawns, nice dirt to scritch in, things to chase, no de-sexing, and a nice home to return to as and when they wish.

In the past, our cats have had this (but have been de-sexed!) and have chosen to be home much of the time - but they love the wilds to explore.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:24 pm
Quote:
I mean - they go for dirt every time - as my pot plants testify - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Come again? I thought you were in one of the less tolerant Aussie states...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 09:46 pm
Actually, pot is decriminalised in my state - the first in Oz to make it so.

Two plants or less = a traffic type fine - and no record - dealt with by a fine notice.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:09:31