Naked cyclists protest dependence on cars

Reyn

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:09 am
Naked cyclists protest dependence on cars in London, Madrid
at 16:01 on June 11, 2005, EST.

LONDON (AP) - Hundreds of naked cyclists rode past Big Ben and the U.S. Embassy in London on Saturday to protest the West's dependence on gas-guzzling cars - and to push for more use of bicycles.

The organizers of World Naked Bike Ride 2005 said protests were expected in a number of countries, including Australia, Canada, the United States, Ireland, Italy, Latvia and Israel.

In London, crowds watched about 100 cyclists leave Hyde Park Corner on a journey that took them past some of the capital's most famous landmarks.

Most of the riders stripped naked for the six-mile ride past Piccadilly Circus, Big Ben, Covent Garden, Oxford Street and the U.S. Embassy.

Some bikes carried banners reading, "Oil is not a bare necessity but a crude obsession" and "Support the trade justice movement."

"It's a protest against oil dependency and car culture and the overuse of cars for unnecessary reasons," said one of the organizers, Chad Neilson, 24, from north London.

"There is too much pollution. It stinks in London, and we use too much fossil fuel."

In the Spanish capital, Madrid, dozens of nude cyclists pedaled along major thoroughfares past famous landmarks, drawing surprised looks.

Most were men, naked except for shoes and helmets, or caps to fend off the hot Spanish sun.

"What we clearly want to show is that we feel naked against the traffic," said one organizer who gave only his first name, Javier. "Every day we have to put up with the traffic, the aggression of the drivers, their speed and bad manners."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:13 am
Great crusade story, Reyn. Beats the hell out of Lady Godiva! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:42 pm
Thanks! I was going to post the accompanying photo, but decided maybe it wasn't everybody's "cup of tea", so to speak. :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:47 pm
I wonder is they used sunscreen. 6 miles on those hard seats must have rattled 'em loose. :-o
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:32 pm
I dunno about rattling loose, but I could very imagine a very sore, red butt! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:10 am
I can't imagine riding a bike naked. It just seems so damn uncomfortable. I mean did they actually put their naked bottoms and stuff directly on the seats or did they lay a towel or something on them first. Sweat could make the seats a bit slippery.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
Hey folks; it's about the message!!!, not the medium. we all spend some time naked for one good reason or another; let's concentrate on considering our watseful use of two ton machines, which overtley destroy the environment, when a 30 lb. bicycle will get you there - faster in traffic, wasting nothing, promoting good health through exercise, and costing nothing per mile/kilometre for fuel! - that's efficiency!

[do you use a sledgehammer to open a beer?]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:53 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 11:32 am
Well that's what you get for trying to send a message in an extreme way. People focus on the nakeness and completely forget or disregard the message.
0 Replies

alfass21

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
ne pics:P?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:20 am
Here you go:http://www.planetark.com/envpics/sLondonNakedCyclists.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Naked cyclists protest dependence on cars
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.45 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:07:01