FORD MADOX FORD

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:10 pm
"There is no writer of this century more likely to live than Ford Madox Ford"--Graham Greene

Ford was one of the finest Brit novelists of the past 100 years, author of THE GOOD SOLDIER, the PARADE'S END sequence of novels chronicling World war One, and THE FIFTH QUEEN trilogy depicting the court of Henry VIII. In addition, he collaborated with Joseph Conrad, discovered Hemingway, wrote brilliant autobiographies and traevl writing, and founded the leading literary magazine of his day.

Let's celebrate the perennially underpraised Ford Madox Ford!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:06 pm
agreed
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:52 pm
Laconic, ain't you, dyslexia?
0 Replies

Tina

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I'd like to know how others see the ending of The Good Soldier...

Is Dowell the paragon of self-deception or has he learned anything from his acquaintance with Edward?

Does he have the right to talk of himself as one of "the passionate, the headstrong and the too-truthful" (but only in a fainter way :-) )?

Didn't he deliberately let his wife and Edward die? ("I tell you, I could not move" "Florence didn't matter", "Why should I hinder him?")

I don't really know what to make of Dowell, but I tend to see him in a rather negative way. He's a guilty character, whereas Nancy and Edward are the "blessed innocent" (beati immaculati).

What do you think???
0 Replies