Am being too paranoid?

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 11:54 am
Met someone new (1 month) and after being really hurt in some prior relationships I am much more aware of certain behaviors from a partner.

The new partner has a lot of qualities I'm looking for but there are a few early behavior things that I'm a bit concerned about, including the following:

1. He keeps telling me he's been looking for someone like me for a really long time and he wants our relationship to work. No doubt "he's really into me".
2. He visited for a holiday and decided to take a train instead of driving. He asked me to go online and buy the ticket and he'd reimburse me. Well he came and left yesterday but I haven't seen any $ yet. I feel awkward asking for the $ and reminding him (he should remember).
3. He seems very thoughtful and generous. He brought wine and flowers, etc. to me and a new electric toothbrush (he is a dentist). I purchased the holiday meal.
4. He pays for meals when we go out but I paid for parking for us and when I was buying a drink he went ahead and ordered a sandwich and then said "thank you" to me so I assumed he expected me to pay for it, which I did.
5. He seems transparent about his life - I don't think he is hiding anything from me but my adult son says he likes him "but feels like something is off". My son can misinterpret people sometimes but not always.

Does this behavior seem concerning? Again, I don't want to jump into a very serious relationship immediately but also don't want to invest my time and end up hurt and depressed all over again.

I feel awkward about saying anything but do want to say something - just the "right" thing though.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 345 • Replies: 7

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 01:26 pm
You don’t have to say anything. His behavior and your reaction show that he’s not right for you.

Move on.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 01:33 pm
@tooanxiousornot,
Quote:
...he'd reimburse...feel awkward asking...

Just ask. Unless you want to send a message that you're willing to pay every time. Nip it in the bud. Likely he just forgot, doesn't mean you should not remind him.

Quote:
...wine, flowers, toothbrush...

At least he's being good in this.

Quote:
He pays for meals...ordered a sandwich...said "thank you" I assumed he expected me to pay, which I did.

If he is paying for food, then the sandwich was part of his debt. You made mistake by paying for it.

Anyway, for the future, remind him to pay when he says he will. If he doesn't, for any reason (says he forgot his wallet or something), press him. If he resists it may be best to move on.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 01:52 pm
@tooanxiousornot,
I don't see the issue here. It sounds like he is paying for dinners. Ideally each of you should be paying about the same amount... if you are taking turns then that is fair.

If something is bothering you, why not just tell him directly and then you can work it out.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 01:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't see the problem here...

You don't possess good reading comprehension skills.

The guy said he would reimburse the cost of the train ticket. He did not.

The fellow said he was paying for the meal. She ordered a drink and he added a sandwich, she put the money out for his sandwich. (I figured the drink might be considered separate, especially if it was spirited and he has issues). Additionally, she put the money out for parking and gas.

Other than that, I agree with you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 02:13 pm
You have a lot of trouble with men and money. And with making unending accounts and topics.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 03:26 pm
@jespah,
I thought it might be her. Same story, different guy.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 02:17 pm
Suggest she spend a few dollars doing a internet search of his background such as any criminal record and one month is hardly enough time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Am being too paranoid?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.44 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:58:09