How can I buy a passive business?

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:23 am
I already work full time doing other things. Is it possible to buy a business with absolutely minimal investment of time? I'm looking at listing from business brokers, but they all seem to be actively managed "mom and pop" type places. I just don't have the time for it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 417 • Replies: 15
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:57 am
@ThomasTheApe,
Let me get this straight. You want to make money for doing nothing?

That sounds like a great plan.

If you have money to invest, I recommend the stock market.
jespah

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:02 am
@ThomasTheApe,
If you want to become a silent partner/investor, contact your local Chamber of Commerce or attend any events where startups are likely to be. Do your due diligence, as a lot of startups fail. You also need not invest in a startup, although they're far more likely to need cash ASAP and be looking for what is called angel investing.
blatham

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:14 am
Also, there's the Passive Business Outlet Mall
0 Replies

ThomasTheApe

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 11:09 pm
@maxdancona,
What role does Warren Buffett play in the daily operations of Dairy Queen? Or any of the other many businesses he owns?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 12:15 pm
@ThomasTheApe,
Well if you have $585 million laying around that you dont mind risking, that changes everything.

Why didn't you lead with that fact?
ThomasTheApe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 04:10 am
@maxdancona,
Back to your original reply. No I didn't say money for doing nothing.

Spending the money to buy a business is not "nothing." And who said it has to cost $585 million?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 05:13 am
@ThomasTheApe,
You can buy stocks. This is the easiest way to invest in a business without millions of dollars.

The money you earn from investment is generally proportional to the risk you are taking. You always run the risk of losing all of your money.

ThomasTheApe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 09:41 am
@jespah,
Why would it have to be a startup?

I would be much more likely to want to be a silent partner in a business that has a track record of profits.
0 Replies

ThomasTheApe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
Buying stocks is not becoming owner of a business. Despite what some people like to tell you.

I do not get a percentage of profits that is proportional to my percentage of ownership. Unless they distribute 100% of profits as dividends, which no one does. Also, I have no say in running the company.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 09:56 am
@ThomasTheApe,
Let's say, for the of discussion, that I own such a business. It generates consistant profits for me and requires no work on my part.

Why would I ever sell such a thing to you or anyone else?
ThomasTheApe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
For a lump sum. And you are going to extremes to say NO work. What I'm saying is that I don't want to have to be on-site to keep it running.

You are aware that there are people that do this, right? They delegate most work to managers, who then hire employees, etc.

Think of a person who owns rental properties but hires a property manager. The owner still has to pay the taxes, etc. but the owner is not required to be on-site to keep it running on a daily basis.
jespah

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 10:33 am
@ThomasTheApe,
Did you actually see this?
https://able2know.org/topic/534424-1#post-6908484
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 10:48 am
@ThomasTheApe,
Sure. But rental properties come with a large amount of downside risk. And if they run into problems, for example you have trouble filling vacancies, you end up working extra.
0 Replies

ThomasTheApe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 11:00 am
@jespah,
Ok. I just reread. Thanks, I'll check it out.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 11:06 am
@ThomasTheApe,
Why would you want to do this instead of investing in stocks, etc? You reduce your liquidity (by a lot), you absorb significant risk, you are exposed to tax liabilities and perhaps legal liabilities and you spend a lot of your profit hiring managers. If you want to be a passive investor, just go with a balanced portfolio of stocks, bonds and other assets. You can now buy an EFT that does all that for you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How can I buy a passive business?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:42:15