Boy, 11, crashes van after mom lets him drive to school

Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:29 am
Another case of parental idiocy.....

Chicago boy, 11, crashes van after mom lets him drive to school
at 20:36 on June 9, 2005, EST.

CHICAGO (AP) - A Chicago woman allowed her 11-year-old son to drive the family's minivan to his elementary school, where the boy crashed the vehicle near a group of children.

No one was hurt. The boy, however, was expelled from school and both he and his mother were ordered to traffic court later this month.

The crash happened Monday outside St. John Fisher School on Chicago's South Side, not far from where the children were lining up to go inside. The minivan jumped the curb and hit a school zone sign as the boy tried to turn a corner, authorities said.

Police said they don't know why Erin Sarandah decided to let her son drive the couple of blocks from home to the school while she and her daughter were passengers.

"She had a licence," said police spokesman Pat Camden.

Sarandah was cited for damage to property and allowing an unauthorized person to drive, Camden said. The boy received a traffic ticket for negligent driving and driving without a licence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 713 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:34 am
Well that's just dumb. With the other one, we were like we-e-l-l, it could happen. (Small child[ren] snuck mom's keys and snuck out to drive car.) This one, she just out and gave him permission? Yoiks.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
And to think, this "adult" is responsible for another human being - scary really.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
Well that's just dumb. With the other one, we were like we-e-l-l, it could happen. (Small child[ren] snuck mom's keys and snuck out to drive car.) This one, she just out and gave him permission? Yoiks.

Yeah, I remember that one. This is so much worse. I think the parent should have received a greater punishment.

I just don't get this. It's not like the boy was even close to the driving age to start learning, etc. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:38 pm
What I wanna know is -- what the hell's wrong with this kid that he can't pull up to the curb? When I was that age we used to sneak my buddy's parents' minivan out for joyrides when they were gone without incident. It ain't rocket science.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:21 pm
I don't know nothing about minivans, but where realjohnboy grew up, boys (mostly the boys) learned how to drive a tractor at the age of 11 or 12. They learned how because they were needed to help in the farming.

Once upon a time, when someone who might have been named johnboy, who was about 14 or so, got the notion to visit a farm about 5 miles away. There was a young lady who lived there. So, since his parents were away he drove the tractor through fields, carefully opening and closing fences on their and neighboring properties. But he did have to be on the road, the public road, for the last mile or so and the County cop came by and stopped him. It wasn't an issue that a 14 year old was driving a tractor; it was why the 14 year old was so far afield.

Nothing came of it. I was turned around and told to go home by the officer. I leearned a good lesson tthat evening: before you embark on a journey like that, think up a good story in case you get caught.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Boy, 11, crashes van after mom lets him drive to school
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 12:16:02