Head deformities a problem for sleeping babies

Reyn

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:13 pm
HEAD DEFORMITIES A PROBLEM FOR SLEEPING BABIES

Big News Network.com
Health Story Archive
(6/05)

For years, parents have been taught the mantra "back to sleep" as a reminder to put babies on their backs in their cribs. The position helps to avoid sudden infant death syndrome, but sometimes causes other problems.

Deformational plagiocephaly is a fancy term for a misshapened head usually caused by infants' heads resting on the same spot. Pediatrician's tell parents to lie their babies on their backs when they sleep to decrease the chance of sudden infant death syndrome, or sids. But many babies tend to find the same comfortable position each night, continually making deformities worse.

National SIDS rates have gone down by more than fourty percent in the last decade, while positional head deformities went up to 1 in 60.

For babies whose heads are misshapen from their sleeping position, the treatment is purely cosmetic. A child's head may look somewhat asymmetrical if not corrected by 24 to 28 months when the skull permanently fuses in place. After that point, changing the shape of the head generally requires surgery.

If noticed early on, parents can often correct the problem by alternating the position of the child's head during sleep, which in most cases helps the head eventually round out to a normal appearance. But there are special helmets and pillows available that could also help. However, they can be expensive and need to be adjusted. Only some insurance companies cover the costs of this kind of treatment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 577 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:30 am
Or you simply follow most Pediatricians' suggestion of giving your baby "tummy time" when they are awake and when you can watch them. Tummy time also helps them learn to lift their heads and to crawl.

I never adjusted my babies' positions when they slept and I always had them sleep on their backs, however, I did give them tummy time and also way before 24 months, babies are up and moving and tend to stop sleeping on their backs and move around in their sleep as they become more mobile. I doubt this is really a serious problem as once they start walking (around the age of 12 months), you cannot kept them on their backs!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:19 am
I'm guessing, but I think the skull flattening happens not only during sleeping time but when babies are left alone in their cribs for much of the day. In some cases bottles are propped so baby can have a solitary meal.

Linkat has good solutions.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Head deformities a problem for sleeping babies
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 12:15:14