Traveling with opposite sex when in a committed relationship.

A widow

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2019 01:46 pm
I'm curious to know how most people feel when their loved one travels out of town, (over night or more) with a person of opposite sex.
My situation is this. I'm female. My BF and I have been working on an issue regarding him and his female friend. (This is not a new issue and we have been getting counseling for it.) About a year and half ago he went overnight out of town with her for a national heritage type social club. The club raises money for charity, and scholarships, and so forth. Anyway, he went out of town for a State meeting with her, and didn't tell me about it. I have expressed my discontent, and he did it again about 6 months ago. He said other people were going to drive along, but they all canceled at the last minute. (A lame excuse).
According to him, when he was in his previous marriage of about 24 years, he often flew out of town with female employees from his business. He states that his wife also flew out of town on occasion for her job as well. He states it was never an issue.
I am not in a career that warrants travel of any type. So I am completely out of the loop for knowing what the norm is in this field. My thoughts are - it's not a good idea. I don't like it. I think it sends up red flags, and so forth.
Opinions please . . . Thanks.

engineer

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2019 01:59 pm
@A widow,
It is unreasonable to expect your boyfriend to only work with male colleagues. Men and women are together in the workplace all the time. It is also unreasonable for you to demand the details of who he is traveling with for work. He doesn't control this. If your BF is going to cheat on you, he is going to cheat on you whether traveling or at home. If you feel you can trust him, then this should not be an issue. Has there been a previous violation of your trust?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2019 02:43 pm
You say you are in counseling due to issues with this “ friend” of his. Now he is traveling with her on business.

What other “issues” is she causing between you two?

What are the sleeping arrangements for these trips?
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2019 03:12 pm
@A widow,
I've traveled due to business before - I've traveled with male and female co-workers as well as by myself. Typically when you travel for business each employee gets their own hotel room.

So what is the big deal? You go to work every day with this person - so what does it matter if it involves flying or driving or taking a cab and you are out of state? The relationship doesn't change.

And I am married - my husband never questioned these trips. And the few he has had to take I have not either - and to be honest I do not know whether women traveled with him or not. I know some he had co-workers with him. But that is about all I know.

Is he sharing a room with this woman?

Other than that - I could care less especially if it is a business situation - it is very normal as men and women do work together.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2019 10:45 pm
@A widow,
Personally I think it's time you ended this relationship.

This poor man can't do anything right, and you hang on to every wrong thing he does for months, even years.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2019 07:42 am
I agree with most people here.

1. There is nothing wrong with travelling with people of the opposite sex.

2. If this relationship isn't working, it is best to end it.
0 Replies

A widow

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:40 pm
I am grateful to all of your responses. Because I'm not in a traveling type of career I am unknowledgeable of these arrangements, what is normal for most people, and how I should feel about it. What bothered me about him traveling out of town with this other women is he didn't tell me about it. I found out a few weeks later. A few months later I, then, found out he was going to her house for several weeks to remodel her kitchen. I had no idea he was going there to help her and so on.
As I pursued more information and requests for respecrful boundaries, and "Hay! I'm uncomfortable with this, could you please respect my feelings?" - the response I received was a lot of defensiveness, accusing me of having problems. It became clear to me that his relationship with her was separate and did not include me. Ding! Ding! Ding! I viewed his response as a red flag. He denies it.
Anyway, it has become convoluted. He swears he is in love with me only, yet avoids a level of transparency. I've been in relationships before when this topic was perfectly OK, respectful, and I become friends with the female friend. But this guy, keeps it separate.
In therapy, the therapist tries to be the advocate for both of us. It's a process to make change. My process for gaining my individuality is coming along slowly. That is why I asked for other opinions. Thank you so much for all of your input.
0 Replies

A widow

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 07:49 pm
@PUNKEY,
Punkey, I don't know what the sleeping arrangements are. I am left out of the loop with many things I should know. The question you ask is information not given to me. Thank you for you question, because it validates an important aspect to transparency, trust, and integrity to a committed relationship.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Traveling with opposite sex when in a committed relationship.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 04:41:13