Does staying with people who are depressed makes you depressed too?

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 03:55 am
I have posted previously that I have started having these suicidal thoughts. I tried and tried to make out of the factors that makes me depressed. It's mainly because of unreached expectations, pressure from my parents, failing grades, fake friends, broken relationships and such.
Then I looked around at my apartment and saw my friend who I think is depressed too. I tried to talk and help her but I think it is useless when I can't even help myself. Then I am just left wondering, is friending with a depressed person one of the factors that trigger my depressed self? Also, is there any way I can help her and myself too?

love,
cleopatraistired

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 05:18 am
There's no question that people who are in close contact will sync up, even unconsciously. E.g. it's easier to diet if you go out to lunch with friends who are also trying to eat healthier.

You can be a good friend and listen, if you like. But beyond that, if she truly is depressed (I am not a doctor; neither are you), then she needs medical attention. As they say in business-- it's above your pay grade. Doesn't mean you shouldn't listen or care. But the person to help her the most probably needs to have an MD.

Also, I put it to you what flight attendants say during safety briefings-- put your oxygen mask on first, before assisting others. The analogy applies to you, too.

Take care of your own issues before worrying about hers. That way, you'll be better equipped to help her, anyway.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:59 am
@jespah,
agreed - you need to help yourself first - this would be true in almost any situation.

A wise doctor once told me - are you taking care of yourself? Are you getting enough rest, etc.? This when I had very young children. She explained if you are not well rested you will not be a good mother to your children.

Same thing here - if you are not well cared for - feeling good - it is more difficult to be a supportive friend.

Have you sought out help for yourself - I think you could definitely benefit from meeting with a counselor. My daughter has had anxiety issues - she has been seeing a counselor who helps her develop methods that teach her how to manage her anxiety.

In the past 4 or 5 months I have seen a different teen - she is now fully engaged in school and with her friends. She still has anxiety and still meets with her counselor but she has a better grasp on how to handle it and how to speak with her teachers so she can work out what she can do in the classroom to manage this.

A counselor can help you learn how to manage this - what can trigger it and what to do when it hits you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does staying with people who are depressed makes you depressed too?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 04:27:06