Question about toads

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 12:49 pm
So this year we had lots of toads. I mean a lot. Little tiny things especially in one area of our yard.

They seemed to have diminished in numbers (perhaps some due to me squishing them - although I try to be careful). As you can imagine this interests the dogs.

So my first question - would it be dangerous if they eat one? They haven't tried - they are more curious and the smaller dog actually jumps back away startled whenever a toad jumps when he sniffs them.

Another question - last night my other dog saw one and was sniffing at it - it jumped once which greatly interested the dog, but then he just sat there. So I tried prodding him with a leaf - the stubborn thing didn't jump just looked grumpy that I was touching him and shifted but would not jump. Why is that? (is it a playing dead thing)?

Anything else I need to be careful of these creatures?

(too bad they don't eat stink bugs).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 377 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 12:54 pm
@Linkat,
Certain toads are poisonous.

https://animalquestions.org/amphibians/toads/are-toads-poisonous-to-humans/
glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
Do you know what type of toads are in your yard? Some toads can be toxic for dogs, I think it might be best to keep the dogs away.....There is an Animal Poison Control ASPCA (1-888-426-4435) supposed to be available 24 hours a day. You might want to call them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 01:02 pm
@Sturgis,
I can't open the link it is blocked will need to do it with my home wifi.

It would be just the typical brown toad found in northeast US.

I try to keep the dogs away from them but it is somewhat difficult at night when I can't see them. Also for my larger dog I let her outside on a long leash. (the smaller dog I can't since I worry about other animals).
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 01:27 pm
@Linkat,
Try licking one and see if it gets you off your tits, and go from there.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 02:12 pm
@Linkat,
From what I understand, they exude an odor which makes them unpalatable to most animals. There are some which are truly toxic but not the common garden toad in the Northeast. Thing is, if you're any kind of gardener, you really want to have toads around.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 02:26 pm
@Linkat,
Toads in the Northeast exude a mild toxin from their skin. It makes them taste bad so most animals won’t eat them, and even if they did, it would make them sick, not kill them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 04:04 pm
I don't mind the toads - I try to avoid stepping on them when we had tons of them when they were tiny - they are getting bigger now and there are fewer of them - still a lot more than we have had previously.

Just don't want the doggie to eat them. And I thought I did read up that the toads would eat stink bugs - pretty much any bug. So they are welcome in my yard.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Question about toads
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:45:13