Stink bugs

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 12:07 pm
Do you have them? I didn't even know these bugs until a few years ago and now we have lots of them. In the past few days I have flushed down a couple of dozen. I thought I had a lot until I read an article where a couple had hundreds or more in their bedroom.

Any one else notice this huge increase in these ugly smelly creatures?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 255 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 12:24 pm
@Linkat,
They arrived here a few years ago in the States.

Apparently after their tourist Visas expired they decided to stay. Soon they became citizens, with diverse heritage from various far East nations (China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan...).
From what I've read, singer Billy Joel wrote a song, which I suppose they must have really loved. They first were found in Allentown, Pennsylvania according to reports.
not sure if I've ever seen one up close and personal.

Their theme song:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2019 07:39 pm
@Linkat,
they, as well as the spotted llanternflies (which are more like butterfies or moths with teeth), will suck your fruit and vegiies dry. They love tomatoes and oeaches and the will spot apples so as to ruin about 1/3 of the harvest.
Ive been told that Penn State and Cornell are researching the uses of various wasp species to parasitize the lanternflies and the birds are learning to like stinkbugs. The stink in stink bug is almost like butyl alcohol. Those of you whove done oil immersion microscope work will recognize the smell. Its a cross between butyl alcohol and bromoform. (A real vintage). It doesnt rally "STINK" it smells like a metallurgy lab
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 05:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It doesnt rally "STINK" it smells like a metallurgy lab

Which stinks!

I have never squished one so I have not had the pleasure of smelling the metallurgy lab.

Didn't know they were stink bugs the first time I saw them - they were easy to catch and I don't like squishing bugs so I have always flushed them. I used to let them free outside - but now there are too many so I flush them.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 07:52 pm
@Linkat,
If they try to get in the house(as they do around here), they like to spend winter behind picture frames. The ons that survive the winter will pass on a gene variant that is more tolerant to our climate, so the "picture frame stinkies" are the ones we MUST kill and make an examplefor the others.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 07:58 pm
@farmerman,
They like to "house" in the crevices of our shades. I use a tissue to kind of push them out and then grab them with the tissue, release them in the toilet and when I capture half a dozen I send them to the septic.

I will have to look behind pictures to see if there are any.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 08:05 pm
@Linkat,
you must have those pleated shades, my wife did a redo of lamps and got some lady to make glass shades 9Not a Tiffany style but more a Rene Macintosh kind ). STink bugs dont like them.
The reason we are seeing them now is that all the farmers with big corn fields hve cut thir corn into "greenchop" for silage,(plant , cob, hairline and all). So the stink bugs living in the fields have migrated to the rural homes. I was talking to a guy at the feed mill and he was bitchin about th same thing that you were.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Stink bugs
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:14:57