summer reading

bsingh5

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:57 pm
thank you Green Witch so then I would not know him (I'm only about 18; not yet 19....) but I do think i have heard of his work Siddhartha and if i remember correctly it was about the actual Buddha (i am not sure that may have been someone else)
0 Replies

alien shiva

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:41 pm
bsingh.... siddhartha.. had nothing to do wid Buddha's life... hesse wuz quite influenced with the eastern mysticism at the time of writing siddhartha..he even travelled to china.. n india... but then ..that wuz jus a passing phase of his life.................
.to get a better perception of his philosophy..try reading all his works... Wink..you'll emerge a changed person.. .. Wink
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:15 am
so then it was just a collection of eastern philosophy? i wouldn't mind if i could just get my hands on it
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:04 pm
bsingh5 - You can easily find Hermann Hesse books at any public library (you say you are in Florida) or you can search on Amazon.com and you will find used copies of Siddhartha starting at 48 cents.

Alien says it is not about the Buddha, but that is somewhat debatable. It is a work of fiction, but it is set in the same time period that Buddha lived, Siddhartha is another name for Buddha and the story does tell the story of a man's spiritual enlightenment. You can make your own decisions if you chose to read it.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:57 pm
Thank you very much Green Wich, I thought that it dealt with some aspect of His (Budhha's) life. I know that he was called Siddhartha before he left the palace and his wife and child, that was why I automatically thought of him when Alien brought up the book (and becuase I thought I heard of it somewhere else).
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:04 pm
I thought Ethics for the New Milennium from the Dali Lama was a great book. I'd recommend it.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:39 am
Thanks what was it about?
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:14 am
try JANE AUSTEN though old but great (EMMA-PRIDE&PREJUDICE),U can also try WOMAN ON THE EDGE OF TIME to MARGE PIERCY...good luck
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 02:47 pm
I thought the classic Tales of Two City was by far one of the best classic book that I have ever read and I also enjoyed Jane Eyre (I am not sure I am spelling it right)
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:06 pm
I loved Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. One of my favorite books of all time. It takes a little bit to get into it, but it's well worth the read. Smile
0 Replies