piano sheet music crisis!

gemoska

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:54 pm
I posted this before but got no replies so I'm trying again....!

Can anyone tell me a good resource (online or otherwise) for deciphering all the symbols in classical piano sheet music? I'm kind of a beginner player, and am struggling to get through Satie's Gymnopedie #1! (Specifically, it's the 'L' shape next to the chord in bars 24 and 29 that's getting me!!) Thanks in advance for any input at all..

I can't continue learning the piece until I figure out how to play these chords!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,293 • Replies: 8
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 12:39 am
I do not know what score you are using, but you can try this..

http://www.everynote.com/goods.1/_Sat_Gymnopedie_1.pdf
0 Replies

gemoska

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:01 am
Thank you! - this is a differerent version to the one I have; the chords are slightly easier looking, and it does not include the mystery symbol, which is fine by me! so I will try working with this one - I appreciate you taking the time to reply...
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 12:35 am
Can you post an image of this 'mystery symbol?'

...I am intrigued...
0 Replies

gemoska

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:43 pm
I can't post an image, but it literally looks like an upper case letter L. Exactly like that in fact: L It is immediately in front of the top note of a bass clef chord.
To tell you the truth, the chord stretches over 9 (white) keys, which I am finding impossible to play, and I am hoping that that symbol tells me an easier way!! I could be disappointed though...
Is is common for there to be chords that stretch over so many keys? And if so how do you play them, cos I have fairly big hands and just can't do it, at least not quickly enough to keep time....
Thanks!
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:20 pm
I think thats Left Hand, but i'm not sure, can someone get me 'Somewhere Only We Know' - Keane piano music sheet, i really need it! please find me something! lol Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:25 pm
As Satie was a French composer, if L means the left hand then the symbol may have been added by an editor not by Satie himself.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:25 pm
I'd like to see your score... This "mystery symbol" seems interesting Very Happy
The 1st Gymnopedia is not that difficult. You just have to move a lot... Well it IS difficult to make it sound good, but technically it's not difficult at all... Maybe you should concentrate on the best way for you to play it (don't try to play everything legato only with your hands, for example...) I played it when I still had pretty small hands, and it was fine, so I don't think it should bother you...
Good luck :wink:
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:43 pm
Check out this forumÂ…lots of info about piano here:

0 Replies