Forgetting a long encrypted pass words that I had used for years!!!!!

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 05:31 pm
I decided six months ago that I no long needed a super long password that was once the key to my encrypted hard drives on all my systems an therefore taken them off the systems.

Just a few weeks ago I found myself in need of some information on the one computer that I has not been using an therefore had not removed the password protection.

No problem as you surely do not forget even a super long key you been using for years on a daily base.

To my amazement after hooking up this computer I found that I could not remember a key that I had been using for decades day in an day out!!!!!

For security reasons also I never never wrote the key down anywhere an it took many weeks to bring the 30 character password back to life an access this computer starting just a few hours ago.

I remember reading that a federal judge is now keeping someone lock away for many months as he does not buy into the man claims he can not remember his keys either

Lord with no real pressure it took me weeks to come up with my key so I hate to think of my freedom being in the balance while trying to come up with that 25 character key of mine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 285 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 08:47 pm
My advice is to compress the encrypted password in a short version with a system of logic that only you can understand and write it down in a paper to recall the main password than get it into a draw locked with a key. No risk of anyone knowing what it means! Heck, you can write a Kafkaesque poem and invert the order of what is written in every word-initial key input. Make it sound innocent!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 02:06 pm
@BillRM,
That sucks Bill.

I write down my passwords (often with simple salt). This isn't secure in the case someone breaks into my house... but I am not worried about someone breaking into my house. The threats I worry about are online (and reading an index card locked in my office is quite impossible to do from online).

I suppose there is good reason to encrypt a laptop drive (preferably with a hidden partition for the important stuff) when traveling. However, I haven't had anything worth hiding up to this point.

I did have a software contract job where encrypting the data was part of the signed contract... but I had to nuke that data when I was done with it.

I don't know what else to say. Other than that sucks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Forgetting a long encrypted pass words that I had used for years!!!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:33:48