What are some good resources for character development for animation and comics?

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 02:30 am
Hi. I am interested in producing my own animation and comics. I would like to showcase them online in video from and in other formats, on as many platforms as I can and capitalize off of them.

Storytelling in animation and comics is important, but so is character development, especially if you are producing a series. Memorable cartoons and comics have memorable characters. You don't want a bunch of bland, flat, one-dimensional, cookie-cutter characters. You want fleshed-out, developed characters with their own set of attributes that define who the characters are. Distinct personalities is a given and helps characters stand out.

A good creator knows how a character thinks, and what makes him tick. He knows how a character would react in any given situation. He knows what a character's strengths and flaws are. He knows how a certain character would react and relate to other characters, and vice versa.

I am searching for books online that focus on character development for animation and comics- I have not really found any yet.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,720 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 06:01 am
@JGoldman10,
Most writing guides and books would offer direction on how to write characters in addition in writing a compelling story.

You previously asked about storytelling resources, so they might offer how to write characters. The books I emailed you, as well as the other list of writing books, do tell you how to write characters.

Why exactly do you need so many books on writing? The fact you keep asking for more implies that you never even read the books I sent you.

I had previously mentioned "Words for Pictures: The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels" by Brian Michael Bendis. He has offered advice on how to write characters:
"When in doubt, use your life. Use your relationships. Use your friends. Use your parents. It’s your job as a writer to write the world around you. Your perspective on that world is unique."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 06:14 am
@JGoldman10,
Scott McCloud has three highly acclaimed books on the subject.
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (1993)
Reinventing Comics: How Imagination and Technology Are Revolutionizing an Art Form (2000)
Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels (2006)
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 01:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I am interested in producing my own animation and comics. I would like to showcase them online in video form and in other formats, on as many platforms as I can and capitalize off of them.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 01:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you.
0 Replies