OHIO MOTHER ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTS DAUGHTER

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 10:27 am
OHIO MOTHER ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTS DAUGHTER AFTER SHE CAME HOME FROM COLLEGE TO SURPRISE HER
It's not mental illness here, ReThugs! Although this poor mother, who made a terrible panic-striken decision, will probably suffer from mental issues for the rest of her life now...

A woman shot her 18-year-old daughter in her home after she came back from college to surprise her, according to reports. The daughter is recovering after she was shot in the arm in Girard, Ohio, on the evening of August 30.

Police said the mother was alone in the bedroom when she heard noises from inside the house. The mother became startled as she was not expecting anyone to come over. The mother said she then saw someone running into the bedroom, at which point she fired her .38 special handgun, hitting her daughter once.

Police say they were called at around 9 p.m. to the 200 block of Ohio Avenue by the victim's boyfriend. A transcript of the 911 call made by the boyfriend, obtained by WFMJ, has him describing the 18-year-old's injuries to the dispatcher.

"My girlfriend just came home from college and her mom didn't know, like honestly—she accidentally shot her and we don't know what to do," he said. "It's pretty bad."

https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-mother-shoots-daughter-surprise-college-1457589

On the bright side, her AT-15 was in the shop for a 2,000 round check up..

Most folks doesn't realize the biggest part of shootings accidental and otherwise happen in homes, and that the victims are most likely friends or families.

One of the things most likely stolen from homes is guns.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 11:19 am
It says something about the climate of fear Trump and the NRA are fomenting.
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:47 pm
@izzythepush,
When I was a kid, my dad pulled a piece on my much older cousin who was staying with us when his college was playing Lafayette in basketball . My cousin was out partying and apparently lost his key . Trying not to wake up the house he climbed up on the porchrailing and tried to sneak in an uptairs window. He made enough noise that my dad, thinking we were getting broken into, had my mom, little brother and me go into a closet and he gave me a loaded shotgun that was broke down (Double barrel "breaks" at the breech. My dad then went and confronted my cousin in the dark with his 1911 .45.
My cousin, realizing he was caught didnt know where my dad was but my dad had him in a cast light from the outside lights. So my cousin calls "Unle Val" its me dont shoot".
There was a brief but to- the- point family meeting where my cousin was chewed out for pulling such a really stupid move. My dad wa crying after that confrontation. I believe he had a kind of PTSD
My cousin was "Dimed out" to his folks .
That was many years before Trump was anything in the public. He was just an underachieving college Student at Warton who kept claiming he had a Stratospheric IQ
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 12:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My cousin was "Dimed out" to his folks .

That's a piece of vernacular that's new to me.
roger

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 12:33 am
@izzythepush,
It's the same as "dropping a dime" on him.

Go back maybe 50 years and that was the cost of using a payphone in the US. Payphones were public - oh, you know.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 03:04 am
@roger,
That's just as obscure.

Your explanation helps, I assume it means informing. Our slang would be to grass someone up, although due to the influence of Australian soap operas the phrase Dob someone in, is often used.

Over here this is a dime.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8N_7XFIUAAqfQW.jpg

Not anymore though, they changed the name to daim.

I don't know what our pay phones took pre decimalisation, but after that it was 2p to use one.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 04:40 am
@izzythepush,
back when I was a kid, pay phones cost a dime to make a call. So the urban spak of the time use the term "diming out" as a term meaning to make a call to the authorities to report a crime or criminal.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 04:59 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, both phrases are new to me. I'm sorry but I don't know the origin of 'grassing up.'
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 05:38 am
@izzythepush,
Im here to help. I suspect that, with mutual linguistic support, we shall both acquire a new language.

I can speak Canadian pretty good, I dont think Ill ever pick up SCottish, I have no idea what many of them folks around Edinburgh were even saying.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 06:47 am
@farmerman,
I know, they don't speak English, they speak Scots which is their variant of anglo saxon/dane.

Vowel sounds are different, for example a stone is a stane.

they tend to write in standard English it's just the spoken form that's a bit tricky.

I lived in Newcastle for a while, and the Geordie accent is something else. There's talk of Norwegian and Geordie fisherman meeting in the North Sea and communicating easily despite not knowing the others' language.
cherrie

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 06:59 am
@izzythepush,
I think it's rhyming slang - grasshopper/copper. So someone who dobbed you in to the coppers was a grass.

Or something like that.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 10:12 am
@izzythepush,
we have several regional dialects that are basic Elizabethan english and Gullah, and another of English and French spoken in the Chenier and Swamp country of Louisiana . Downeastern es mostly an accent with some localisms added in for emphasis. Hrd to understand the real dialects.

Pa "Deitch" is a bastid version of German and English with several nouns gloomed from Iroquois.

In German (or example), I recall the word for turkey (the dinner bird) is TRUTON, In Pa "Dutch" its a POWHAN (from Delaware "Pahaan") or a cooking turkey. When the turky is wild and in the forest its a "Distelfink"

I love these dialects and accents.

roger

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 10:15 am
@izzythepush,
I know about grass. I've read lots of John Mortimer. Maybe Terry Pratchett for color.

Yes, it means informing - by telephone.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 11:17 am
@cherrie,
Thank you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 11:19 am
@farmerman,
When I was in Copenhagen I decided to treat the locals as if they were speaking with a Geordie accent. It did help a bit, it Swedish barn means children, and bairn is a Geordie term for child. ( I got that from the Swedish telly they showed.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » OHIO MOTHER ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTS DAUGHTER
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:04:00