14

Play a song from the year you were born

eurocelticyankee

4  
Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 02:12 am

Very black and white around here. Smile

hingehead

2  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:33 pm

1  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:23 pm
Had to play another from 1942
hingehead

1  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
If I was going to pick my favourite 1942 song it would be

1  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:52 pm
@hingehead,
Each year has a nice hit list. I read the top 100 for my year and there was a long list of great ones. The main reason I at first chose White Christmas, it had a long run as the best selling record of all time.
hingehead

1  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure I'd appreciate a hot 100 from any year, but something about Kalamazoo makes me very happy even though it was recorded decades before I was born and doesn't form any of my organic personal musical history. I only picked it up because I force myself to listen to genres I'm not familiar with, looking for bits of gold like this.

I think the only other 1942 song that comes close is As Times Goes By by Dooley Wilson from Casablanca. Not to say I don't appreciate anything else from that year, just not to that level.

2  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 08:10 pm
@hingehead,
Back in the 70's, my friends and I would be just driving around, smoking pot and someone would start singing the refrain, and it was impossible not to join in.

2  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 09:46 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFv_PoZ2iP0[/youtube]

Wow, the Modernaires and the fabulous Nicholas Brothers///love Glenn Miller, my parents had all the music and I grew up listening to it. I still have my dad's 78 rpms (the ones that survived).

2  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 10:25 pm
There are quite a few songs from 1942 that I consider to be absolute masterpieces. Of course, I lived with that kind of music, mixed with country and western, until I was in the ninth grade. We didn't have no Ray Charles or Little Richard, no Elvis or Rolling Stones and what followed in the decades after.

hingehead

1  
Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 11:41 pm
@chai2,
For me it was early 90s and the Pot Belly tavern in Belconnen, for some reason the jukebox had 'Wandrin' Star' from Paint Your Wagon on it - and whenever it came on the whole place would sing along.