Japanese red panda....just standing around

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:29 am
Upright panda becomes latest Japanese star with its great pair of legs
at 4:41 on June 2, 2005, EST.

http://www.cknw.com/shared/cp/xml/oddities/K060204AU.jpg
Futa is shown in March, 2005. (AP/Chiba Zoological Park, HO, File)

TOKYO (AP) - Futa has a great pair of legs - they've won him fans across Japan, spots on nighttime news and now the starring role in an upcoming TV commercial.

Since the two-year-old red panda was photographed standing upright on his hind legs by a national newspaper earlier this month, Futa has become the toast of animal lovers in Japan. "We never expected such a reaction. We're at a bit of a loss," said Masanori Kobayashi, an official at Chiba Zoological Park, which has seen a jump in visitors due to Futa's popularity.

Futa took on his first television role this week, posing in a 6 1/2-hour shoot for an advertisement for a soft-drink company that will be aired nationwide this summer. The zoo received about 66,000 yen, or the equivalent of about $600 US for the day.

There have also been eight requests from companies wanting to produce stuffed animals, postcards and other goods in Futa's image, said zoo spokesman Kazuhiro Nozawa.

Futa, standing 60 centimetres when upright, sports a dark reddish-brown coat and white face - similar in appearance to a raccoon, a distant cousin of the red panda.

While Kobayashi said it's not unusual for red pandas to stand, Futa seems to have caught the attention of the Japanese public with their penchant for cute, furry animals.

But fame does have its downside. With as many as 6,000 people flocking to the zoo on weekends, officials are afraid the publicity will affect Futa's ability to mate. Futa was brought from another zoo in Shizuoka prefecture to pair with a female red panda in Chiba.

"His primary purpose here is to mate," said Nozawa. "But he seems really tired."

Red pandas come from the Himalayan mountains around Burma, China and Nepal. Like their cousins, the giant panda, they feed on bamboo and walk on all fours. Their population in the wild is being threatened by a loss of habitat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,732 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:33 am
It's the tanuki!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
Not especially jolly looking, is he?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm
From Japan Today Forum

Quote:
Red Panda Seeking Single Female...
I enjoy 10 second strolls in the park, raccoon impersonations, and am built like a tripod.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:49 pm
Synonymph wrote:
It's the tanuki!

Are you sure about that? Check this out HERE.

http://www.sonic.net/~anomaly/japan/image/tanuki1.jpg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:10 pm
I was going to say it looks fake to me or like someone had to much time to morph it, but it's not that great a job.

http://animal.discovery.com/news/afp/20050516/gallery/redpanda_zoom.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:37 pm
husker wrote:
I was going to say it looks fake to me or like someone had to much time to morph it, but it's not that great a job.

Laughing I showed it to my wife and she said, "You've been up to your old tricks again, right?"

Not guilty this time. My initial reaction was that it had been altered, but all seems legit.

Strange looking little guy, eh? I don't think it's a "tanuki" like someone mentioned earlier.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 09:34 am
I know it's not a real tanuki. Those lesser red pandas, or red lesser pandas, look like that.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:40 am
I love red pandas - the ones I have seen in australia are something of a cross btwn a dog and a raccoon and that beautiful red fur...oh, its cuter than the black and white ones, I think sometimes.

But uhh, this one looks a bit freaky.
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 05:54 am
I saw this once in the paper. At first I thought it was a man in a costume...looks so fake! Shocked
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Japanese red panda....just standing around
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:14:33