World's longest marriage

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:40 pm
World's longest marriage: British couple celebrate 80th anniversary
at 12:22 on June 1, 2005, EST.

LONDON (AP) - Percy and Florence Arrowsmith, who celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary Wednesday, say the secrets of the world's longest marriage are don't sleep on an argument, always share a kiss and hold hands before going to bed.

Percy Arrowsmith, 105, and his 100-year-old wife were married June 1, 1925. They met at their church in Hereford in western England, where he sang in the choir and she was a Sunday school teacher.

The Queen sent her congratulations to the Arrowsmiths, who celebrated their anniversary at home with coffee and snacks and with family and friends.

"What a splendid achievement. I send you my warm congratulations and best wishes for your 80th wedding anniversary," the Queen's card said.

The Arrowsmiths, who have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren, claim the key to their long marriage is not to go to sleep on an argument. They say they always kiss each other and hold hands each night before going to bed.

"He can't settle down if I'm not holding his hand," Florence Arrowsmith was quoted as saying last month.

The couple's daughter, Jane Woolley, said her parents were both "very perky."

"She says she can't dance any longer but it feels good to have been married for 80 years," Woolley said. "She says she can still have a drink."

Guinness World Records said the pair held records for the longest marriage for a living couple and the oldest aggregate age of a married couple.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,118 • Replies: 11
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:26 pm
Congratulations to them! What a cool story.

Sometimes I feel like I've been married for 80 years. I think I got married under some strange dog-years counting spell.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:52 pm
Yeah, I thought it was real a real heart-warming story. I'm a softy for them.... Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:30 pm
Me, too. I posted the Reuters version of their story in the Relationships & Marriage forum. Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:59 pm
Follow-up on original story. Rather sad. The husband just died.

British man, half of world's longest married couple, dies 2 weeks after setting record
at 14:07 on June 15, 2005, EST.

LONDON (AP) - A British man - half of a couple who held the record for the world's longest living marriage - has died just two weeks after setting the mark, his local bishop said on Wednesday.

Percy Arrowsmith, 105, and his 100-year-old wife Florence celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary and a place in the Guinness Book of World Records on June 1.

Percy Arrowsmith died at his home in Hereford, northwest of London, with his wife by his side, on Wednesday morning.

"Percy and Flo were very happy when I saw them on their anniversary," the Bishop of Hereford, Rev. Anthony Priddis, said.

"They were still very much in love with each other. We will all be praying for Flo and the family in their grief," Priddis said.

Earlier this month, Guinness World Records recognized the pair as holding records for the longest marriage for a living couple and the oldest aggregate age of a married couple.

The Arrowsmiths, who have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren, claimed the key to their long marriage was not to go to sleep on an argument.

http://www.cknw.com/shared/cp/xml/oddities/K061506AU.jpg
Percy Arrowsmith, 105, left, holds the hand of his 100-year-old wife Florence. They celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary in Hereford, England, on June 1. Percy Arrowsmith died at his home with his wife by his side on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Percy Arrowsmith HO/File)

{Source}
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:10 pm
Can you imagine! My mammaw and pappaw were married almost that long: 65 years. But they got married real young, too. You ever wonder why folks nowadays don't stay together anymore? What's a MATTER with folks anymore! I just don't get it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:37 pm
Poodlz wrote:
You ever wonder why folks nowadays don't stay together anymore? What's a MATTER with folks anymore! I just don't get it.

I think it has to do a lot with a changing society and morals. People don't seem to want to hang in there for "better or worse". They tend to bail out when things go sour, instead of working on improving things.

Too many couples marrying for what they see on the outside, and not paying enough attention to what's on the inside.

That's my opinion anyways....
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:48 pm
That makes sense, Reyn. But why has it changed? I mean, what's the "germ" that caused the change? It's real upsetting.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:29 pm
Poodlz wrote:
But why has it changed? I mean, what's the "germ" that caused the change? It's real upsetting.

Well, that's a tough one to pin down I think. In my opinion, attitudes and morals evolve through various ways. Expectations change. You can see this reflected in media - advertising, TV, movies, magazines, music, etc.

Look how things have changed since WW2 and now. Economy, workplaces, home-life, shopping all slowly change, and all have an effect along the way.

Concrete example: Due to various reasons, women came into the workplace in a big way in the 1960's. This would affect the family home-life. Of course, women have been in the workplace before, but I think things really opened up then, at least in North America. Prior to that, the norm was for dad to go to work and mom to stay home and look after the children and household. All of a sudden, mom's not there, and the dynamics of home-life changes. I'm not saying that this is bad or good, but it could be part of the reason why things have changed. There are many factors I feel though.
0 Replies

lcgunn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 02:15 pm
longest marriage
what is the record for America? My inlaws have been married 76 years and they live in West Virginia
0 Replies

rayvd

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:12 am
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:38 pm
Hey, Ray, thanks for posting that info, and welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » World's longest marriage
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:31:53