email address ownership

Nima01

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:14 am
A person's employer has issued an email address including the person's name. For example [email protected]. Two questions:
(1) Does the email address belong to d.framelli because it includes his/her name and personal identifying information, or does it belong to my company.com because it registered the domain name?
(2) If d.framelli is laid off and has been separated, can mycompany.com continue to use that email address as if the employee was still employed and working?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,842 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:15 am
@Nima01,
It belongs to the company.
Nima01

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:17 am
@jespah,
Thank you. Do you have an answer for the second question? It seems to me that it would email spoofing at a minimum, and maybe identity theft?
jespah

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:19 am
@Nima01,
I have no idea. But I've seen email addresses kept open after people leave a company. Nearly always (at least in my experience), it's because the position hasn't been filled yet and no one knows how to turn off the old email and get any mail to it to redirect elsewhere.
0 Replies