Woman finds big bucks in garage sale chair!

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:18 am
Nebraska woman finds $3,000 in chair bought at garage sale
at 14:52 on May 31, 2005, EST.

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Linda Stafford has been going to garage sales for 30 years, and taking good-natured ribbing from her family all the while.

Now, the tables have turned.

Stafford has found more than $3,000 in bills dating from 1928 to 1953 in the bottom of a high-backed chair she bought at a garage sale - for $2.

"When we found the money, they could probably hear us screaming all over the neighbourhood," said Stafford, 57.

She made the discovery while trying to make room in her garage for more furniture. When one of her daughters, Mandy Rath, heard something rattle in the chair, they removed the bottom. Placed inside a compartment were two paper packets, one with $10 in coins, the other with $3,060 in bills.

Stafford remembers what she paid for the chair, but not where she bought it.

"I know that I've had it out in our garage for at least a year, maybe two," she said.

Stafford was not sure how she would spend the money.

"Who knows?" she said. "I might spend it all at garage sales."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 399 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
Re: Woman finds big bucks in garage sale chair!
Reyn wrote:

Stafford remembers what she paid for the chair, but not where she bought it.

"I know that I've had it out in our garage for at least a year, maybe two," she said.

Honestly, I am sure she remembers where she bought it. But doesn't want to tell for fear that the previous owners will want to lay claim to the cash. However, the chair is hers now, along with everything in it so....they'd be sol. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:30 am
SOL . . . you don't hear that often these days.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:33 am
Setanta wrote:
SOL . . . you don't hear that often these days.

Very Happy

Guess I am just old school. My grandmother said the best things...

Like if someone was stalling they needed to "**** or get off the pot".

Or if somethingw as hard, she'd say "Tough as a witches titty".

Question ...Not sure what that means but funny none the less.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:44 am
You KNOW she remembers where she bought that chair!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:36 pm
Re: Woman finds big bucks in garage sale chair!
Bella Dea wrote:
Honestly, I am sure she remembers where she bought it.

Gee, where's the assumption that most people only tell the truth gone to? I'm sure that this woman just forgot! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes She probably just went to so many sales and honestly forgot, right? Laughing

I think you're right that technically she would own anything that was attached, on, or in the chair. It's like finding something of value in the pocket of some clothes you bought. Of course, that doesn't mean that it would be morally right to keep it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Woman finds big bucks in garage sale chair!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:52:41