Why some people do not accept some pronouncements in science

longly

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:25 pm
@maxdancona,
"When the proof exists, but you don't have the education or resources to understand it, then you are screwed.

That is the problem we are discussing here."

That sounds somewhat elitist to me. Should the same thing apply to government? Should the government make decisions contrary to what the people want? When the country was young, it was common among the ruling class to believe that only the wealthy should vote. It was believed the poor were not capable of knowing what was good for themselves or the country. If they were educated and intelligent enough to vote wisely they would be rich themselves.

I am a fan of the PBS series NOVA I never miss an episode my work schedule allows me to see. I have yet to come across a scientific idea I was not able to understand and I don’t think I am anything special. I think most people can understand scientific information when it is presented in the right way.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:52 pm
@longly,
No. The same thing does not apply to government.

Science is about provable facts. The decisions made in a democracy are mostly subjective... there is no scientific experiment to decide if gay marriage should be legal or if healthcare is a right or a privilege.

There is an issue of class and education. It isn't fair that people who are wealthy have more access to knowledge... but it doesn't change the value of education.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 10:56 pm
@longly,
People in general have a very poor understanding of science. Most people can't explain how we know the Earth revolves around the Sun, and few people can explain basic things about biology like how RNA works.

I used to think this was a bad thing... that everyone in society should have a basic understanding of science. Now I realize it is just the way things are, most people don't have the time or interest to really study mathematics or biology.

But this means that society depends on scientists. We have a society that depends heavily on science that most citizens don't understand.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 03:26 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
There is no principle of science that says that all knowledge is based on observations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scientific+method
Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 03:28 am
@izzythepush,
You are babbling.
Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 03:37 am
@izzythepush,
You can always identify amateur philosophers because they argue with cliches and personal insults instead of facts and logic.
Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 03:39 am
You all need to learn to use google and try to develop some curiosity and look up things you haven't learned yet. Here is a site that can amuse you for a few days, more if you decide to investigate things a little deeper:
https://www.science-frontiers.com/sfonline.htm
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 04:26 am
@Jewels Vern,
Too difficult a concept to grasp?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 04:28 am
@Jewels Vern,
I've not seen any facts or logic in your posts, just an outstanding ignorance of irony, similar to someone else's.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 04:30 am
@Jewels Vern,
And here's one for you, should keep you out of mischief and you may learn something.

http://www.nickjr.co.uk/peppa-pig/
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 05:44 am
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

Quote:
There is no principle of science that says that all knowledge is based on observations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scientific+method

You know, you do have to actually “think” about the things you read, right? I don’t see any evidence of actual understanding in your case. You seem more like a search engine blindly matching words without understanding the context.
Jewels Vern

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 04:45 am
@rosborne979,
You offer personal insults in lieu of actual logic. A large fraction of what we call science is defended only by personal insults, but that does not make it right.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 05:02 am
@rosborne979,
he insults others by claiming that hes been insulted, when only his "beliefs" are being ridiculed and hes unable to argue back.

He posts conspiracy blogs and all sorts of sites ending in( .com), not realizing that one person with the time and coding ability can spread any sort of garbage an guys like he will lap it up without any gree of skepticism.

Skepticism is also a hallmark of sciience. Thats one of the reasons that Journals "waste" so much time and effort at peer review
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:54:49