David Koch dead at 79

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2019 07:30 am
His brother has not succumbed, however.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2019 01:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't worry, his twin brother Bill lives on...
...as does his older brother and cohort, Charles.

Billionaire Philanthropist and Conservative Activist. He Was A Big Smithsonian Donor
www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/08/23/david-koch-dies.html
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 11:38 am
@edgarblythe,
Not even a R.I.P.?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 11:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree Finn. Dancing on someone's grave for their political views is a little nasty even for me. He did some great philanthropic works. And he expressed civil rights views.

Sometimes in our political passions we forget that people on the other side of our political chasm are human beings. I never met the guy in person. I have no idea if I would have liked him or not. I disagreed with his politics and think he had far too much influence. But so what.

May David Koch rest in peace.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 11:42 am
https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/david-koch-rip-libertarian-philanthropist-dead-79/?fbclid=IwAR0dQF3ISMmsTTWLuks1zQ1eUdcPAqEIFCe_5S839wx3AIFoDuNdG-F6NzM

Quote:
The only real difference between the Koch brothers and Tom Steyer or George Soros is that the Koch brothers are better at achieving their goals, and particularly better at getting the team around them to focus on the long-term and easily-overlooked corners of the governing process – i.e., state legislatures, local tax initiatives and the political races that aren’t ‘sexy.’
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 11:52 am
The man has done more to undermine our society than most. I could have done more than devoting a thread to him, but his crimes against humanity are self-evident unnecessary to point out.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 12:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't see any self-evident crimes against humanity from David Koch.

The term "crimes against humanity" carries some pretty serious historical baggage. I would think that anyone should think twice before using it against a political opponent. This is in especially poor taste on the event of his passing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 12:36 pm
You people want to take digs at somebody who is happy that an evil is removed from society and ascribe to it a disrespect for the dead. If I had gone after him in a personal way, rather than political, your dumb assed assertions might be credible. As one who stands staunchly against the death penalty, I would never have applauded killing him off. You probably are smart enough to know this, but you enjoy looking to gig somebody for the fun of it.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
David Koch also did many things which enriched society. He contributed to several organizations and institutions over the years. Including the Smithsonian Institution, PBS, medical research, The United Negro College Fund,

In reality, the Koch Brothers are following in the footsteps and traditions of people such as Cornelius Vanderbilt, Andrew Carnegie, Leland Stanford and countless others.

You, edgarblythe and millions of others may despise the Kochs; however,,they have been very helpful to millions more. Including yourself.

Many of the current throng of Republicans don't like the Kochs for many reasons. Included are women's rights and gay marriage and gay rights.

Further, they are not supporters of the current White House occupant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 01:30 pm
excerpt from Wikipedia

The brothers have made significant financial contributions to libertarian and conservative think tanks and have donated primarily to Republican Party candidates running for office."[6] A network of like-minded donors organized by the Kochs pledged to spend $889 million from 2009–2016 and its infrastructure has been said by Politico to rival "that of the Republican National Committee."[7] They actively fund and support organizations that contribute significantly to Republican candidates, and in particular that lobby against efforts to expand government's role in health care and climate change mitigation.[8] By 2010, they had donated more than $100 million to dozens of free-market and advocacy organizations.[8]

In May 2019, the Kochs announced a major restructuring of their philanthropic efforts, stating that the Koch network will henceforth operate under the umbrella of Stand Together, a nonprofit focused on supporting community groups. The stated priorities of the restructured Koch network include efforts aimed at increasing employment, addressing poverty and addiction, ensuring excellent education, building a stronger economy, and bridging divides and building respect.[9]

Contents
1 Background
2 Political activity
2.1 Political contributions
2.1.1 Governor Scott Walker contributions
2.1.2 Mitt Romney presidential candidacy
2.1.3 2016 elections and President Donald Trump
3 Organizations
3.1 The Koch Network
3.1.1 Network seminars
3.2 Impact
3.3 Family foundations
3.4 Think tanks and political organizations
3.4.1 Citizens for a Sound Economy
3.4.2 Americans for Prosperity
3.4.3 Cato Institute
3.4.4 Freedom Partners
3.4.5 Other groups
3.5 Educational grants
4 Issues and policy
4.1 Evolution
4.2 Climate change and use of fossil fuels
4.3 Veterans' affairs
4.4 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
4.5 Criminal justice reform
5 Immigration
5.1 Response to Harry Reid
6 Jane Mayer article in The New Yorker
7 See also
8 References
9 External links
Background

David Koch (1940–2019)
The phrase "Koch brothers" generally refers to the sons of Fred C. Koch.[10][11][12][13] The most politically active sons were Charles Koch and David H. Koch who bought out their brothers Frederick and Bill in 1983.[14]

David H. Koch was the Libertarian Party's vice-presidential candidate in 1980.[15] He advocated for the abolition of Social Security, the FBI, the CIA, and public schools.[16][17] Koch put $500,000 of his own money into the race,[17] and he and Ed Clark, his presidential running mate, won 1.1% of the vote.[18] The experience of running for office caused David Koch to change course: "I had enough ... [W]e are not a nation that debates issues. We vote on candidates' personalities." By 1984, David had parted company with the Libertarian Party, because, he said, "they nominated a ticket I wasn't happy with" and "so many of the hard-core Libertarian ideas are unrealistic."[17]

David Koch had voiced support for same-sex marriage and U.S. military withdrawal from the Middle East. He had also stated that the government should consider defense spending cuts and tax increases to balance the budget.[19]

Interested in maintaining their discreet influence, Charles and David prefer to donate to non-profit groups who do not disclose their donors.[20]

Charles Koch funds and supports libertarian organizations such as the Cato Institute,[21] which he co-founded with Edward H. Crane and Murray Rothbard in 1977,[22] and is a board member at the Mercatus Center, a market-oriented research think tank at George Mason University. Charles Koch supported his brother's candidacy for Vice President on the Libertarian Party ticket in 1980.[8] After the bid, Charles told a reporter that conventional politics "tends to be a nasty, corrupting business ... I'm interested in advancing libertarian ideas".[8] In addition to funding think tanks, the brothers support libertarian academics;[23] since 1992, Charles has funded the Charles G. Koch Summer Fellow Program through the Institute for Humane Studies, which mentors young, self-described libertarians.[24]
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 09:33 pm
@Sturgis,
he was a firm supporter in sciences with the esception o climate science. He unerstood and knew the fact basis of Global Warming but chose to fund groups that were strong advocates of fossil fuel development.
He knew what was fact, but invested in his short term economic gains. For that alone I feel hes made a great career move on Friday.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 11:42 am
@edgarblythe,
So you're the victim? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » David Koch dead at 79
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:49:04