Audiobooks - do you or don't you?

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:03 am
I tried an audiobook once and found that my mind wandered way to much to follow the story. Once I lost the thread of the story it was very difficult to go back and find where I had lost track. I never could seem to get the hang of it and gave up after that one try.

If you do like audiobooks, how do you compare it to sitting down and reading?

Are there certain kinds of books that lend themselves to audiobook format more than others?

If you weren't a big reader before and have come to love audiobooks I'd like to know how the format makes the difference.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,178 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ul

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:18 am
I love to read and I need my daily dose of books, but I have not too much time.
So I use audiobooks to listen to when I have to do boring things- like ironing, cleaning ( I have wireless headphones) and driving for long hours.
Mostly I use audiobooks in English- language exercise.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 10:12 am
I know a lot of people who like audiobooks while doing routine chores just like you, ul.

I also know a few people who spend a lot of time driving that have become addicted to them - though it sometimes means sitting in their car after they reach their destination so they can reach the end of a chapter.

I think you found a really good use with the english language excercises. What a fun way to improve and perfect your skills.
0 Replies

Snowlock

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
I too have audiobooks, but I don't consider them an alternative to the books themselves. Reading is something that allows me to clear my mind... and have personal time to reflect / enjoy the book. An audiobook cannot provide this, and sometimes it's extremely hard to maintain focus, but they're amazing when driving.
0 Replies

fanfan1313

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
I enjoy listening to Audiobooks when I'm doing homework (I'm 14) or cutting the grass. I also have become addicted to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Radio Series and have recorded them off the internet and put them on my iPod.
0 Replies

fanfan1313

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
I enjoy listening to Audiobooks when I'm doing homework (I'm 14) or cutting the grass. I also have become addicted to The Hitchhikers Guid e to the Galaxy Radio Series and have recorded them off the internet and put them on my iPod.
0 Replies

fanfan1313

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
I enjoy listening to Audiobooks when I'm doing homework (I'm 14) or cutting the grass. I also have become addicted to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Radio Series and have recorded them off the internet and put them on my iPod.
0 Replies

pola

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
i like lying in the sun on a meadow, closing my eyes and listen to an audiobook Cool its relaxing.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:46 pm
I cannot tolerate audiobooks. The biggest problem for me is how they are read in entirety in one voice (occasionally if you are very fortunate there may be 2 persons doing the reading). Now whereas this may work quite well for non-fiction such as historical or scientific works, it does not manage a smooth run for fiction such as mystery novels or science fiction or even if one is up to it, romance novels. Those sorts of stories need a multitude of voices, a different voice for each character. Without that it comes off as rather bland and doesn't hold a heck of a lot of appeal for me.

To me the only purpose for audiobooks is for those who are unable to read, whether due to illiteracy visual difficulties or other health or physical matters which make holding a book and turning pages an impossibility. I prefer to read my books and in that manner give each character a distinct sound of their own which can never happen in an audiobook.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
Going to try one for the next book club book.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:40 am
I've only listented to one book on tape so far when I was driving from DC to Nashville, TN. It really helped the time go by. Listened to Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I wasn't really a fan of the story because it seemed so similar to the DaVinci Code, but I enjoyed listening to the book on tape.
0 Replies

manage-1

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:58 pm
Audio Books for Training Purposes
I have always preffered the written word, however recently i am taking more of a liking to audio books as a means to learn while driving and doing mundane duties around the house.

I am currently doing a course that requires tapes to listen to while notes are printed out as a guide to the course, the combination of the two has helped me to learn better and sometimes i tend to like the voice of the speaker which helps me to concentrate better.

if i had to make the choice i would prefer the written word.

Paperback or pdf? if you can download a book instantly would you prefer that to waiting 2 weeks for the paperback to arrive in the mail?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 10:07 pm
I am magnetted to the computer, keep it on all day and check back -

but nothing substitutes, to me, for a book in hand. Including even movies I'ved loved and plays I've loved. The play that goes on in my mind with a great book beats all.

But that's me; I understand feeling otherwise, especially about great cinema, which I do appreciate, and great ordinary movies.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:24 pm
I've listened to audiobooks, but only when driving on a long trip. Otherwise, I prefer the feel of a real book, and the relaxation of curling up with it and forgetting everything else.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:18 am
I definately a devotee of print -- an not electronic print. Reading really long articles on the computer is tiresome for me. If it's something really interesting I'll print it out.

I would consider downloading and printing a book. It would be nice to stick a couple of chapters in my bag and not have to cart around the whole book sometimes.

I might be taking a road trip soon and I'm thinking that perhaps I'll give an audiobook another try.

Any recommendations? It needs to be something suitable for small kids and adults.
0 Replies