More and more news providers want you to pay up front

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 12:15 pm
I will never pay them no matter what. If I were as rich as Scrooge McDuck, with four cubic acres of money, I would still not pay. Most of them are propagandists anyway.

roger

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 01:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me neither.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 01:35 pm
Journalists should work for free. Why should writers and reporters make a living anyway.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 01:44 pm
I don't know why we need professional journalists anymore. Now we can all just write our own news. Who needs Bob Woodward or Christiane Amanpour when we have Sally on Facebook.

Isn't that why Twitter was invented? (and Twitter is still free.)

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:05 pm
Well, the internet has essentially done in the print media. Less physical newspapers and magazines leads to less advertisers, which of course means less actual jobs. To maintain the media source of your choice, requesting payment from online readers is their only real option.

I say "request" ; because, in some cases, the paywall can be worked around. Not so much for the sites which block completely; but, for The New York Times, The New York Daily News, and several other publications where there's an article limit, clearing out your cookies, will do the trick. I've done this for years now.

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
And yet you still consume their products.

Chalk another one up for the anti-media right.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:16 pm
@Sturgis,
I pay for NPR. But that is voluntary. They provide me with a service that is worth at least what I pay them. (Heck, "Wait Wait" alone is worth what I give them).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
If they put it on my social media to be read, or send me dozens of links, you bet I click on it, if the topic interests me. Anyway, how many news sites are there and how much can a person pay? All those subscriptions are beyond my means to pay for.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 02:38 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

And yet you still consume their products.

Chalk another one up for the anti-media right.

If you mean to be insulting by referring to me as anti media right you are way off base.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 03:15 pm
Quote:
If you aren't paying for it, you aren't the customer. You are the product being sold.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If they put it on my social media to be read, or send me dozens of links, you bet I click on it, if the topic interests me. Anyway, how many news sites are there and how much can a person pay? All those subscriptions are beyond my means to pay for.

He makes a fair point, but I, and probably you follow one link to a site and never revisit. I'm not paying for one article. Also, I never, ever use a credit card for any kind of subscription. A number of years ago, they all decided that as a "customer service" they would use your number to renew the subscription - all for your convenience. If they can't accept a check, they are history.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 03:25 pm
@roger,
Yes. And some sites, such as Drudgeretort give you a list of headline blurbs without naming the source. So you click one and they give you a bunch of sh-t.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 03:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Most news providers are legit. If you know one is ****, why do you bother with it? Your sweeping condemnation is a rightist talking point.
roger

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 03:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well, if you give me a link that seems relevant, I might follow it blindly. They demand a subscription and I will reevaluate. At least NYT lets you see enough articles to make an informed decision.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 04:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
I'm not going to argue with you.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 08:47 pm
This just to hand.

You've got me wondering now how much I would pay for

https://able2know.org/

Carlisle, bring me my last will and testament and the coloured pencils.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 09:15 pm
@roger,
The rightists condemn The NYT first and foremost.
roger

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 09:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
Not I. The Washington Post and New York times were both good papers, with opposing viewpoints. Now, that guy (Zukerman?) or something bought out the WP. NYT is still a good paper. We don't share viewpoints. No problem. Even if it were a problem, they still give you a few free articles instead of asking us to buy a pig in a poke.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 10:10 pm
I don't know where he gets his information. The NY Times is a rightist paper, these days, as are most news organizations from America, because right leaning owners make it so. The only reason FOX criticises them is for not being as much to the right as they and for supporting centrist Democrats.
roger

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 10:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe I should take another look.

1. Forums
  2. » More and more news providers want you to pay up front
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.68 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:45:02