Dog treat/toys for aggressive chewers

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 02:47 pm
We adopted a mixed breed dog - well she was supposed to be a mix of a certain breed I was looking for - but I think she is part German Shepard.

Any way she chews - and I mean anything - we had her in the crate and she managed to stick her nose out just far enough to chew up the carpet - badly. And we had chew toys in there with her.

We got her an elk antler and she chewed it to nubbins - we got her nylan bone same thing. Now granted the antler lasted a good while but it was a pretty big one.

What are your thoughts? She is only about 25 pounds but she chews like a dog double her size.

Maybe just get her the larger antler?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 358 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 08:14 am
Under stress. Needs more exercise.
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 08:22 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Under stress. Needs more exercise.

She is a puppy - and gets lots of exercise especially playing with our crazy shih tzu.

I think it more a teething thing - she will chew even when not crated and pretty much any time. She has chewed even when she is out and about. Right in front of me I have caught her chewing on my "work" gives true meaning to the dog ate my homework.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 09:04 am
@Linkat,
Have you tried a kong? She may or may not destroy it, but a part of her issues may be boredom. A kong is a kind of puzzle for dogs.
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 09:28 am
@jespah,
Yeah I have seen them but haven't tried it. I might pick one up - she loves to chew though - it might be a bit of both.

We try even if she is crated to have the other dog near by - I think he calms her. They were both lying down next to each other in the sunny spot here in my office.

It is like having two toddlers running around sometimes when the two get going.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 09:29 am
I have some ideas but no time right now.....marking so I can find it again...hang in there
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2019 09:35 am
@glitterbag,
thanks - she also will chew on the wood on the panel that sticks out near the window and we caught her chewing on furniture. She chewed up a cord on a lamp (thank goodness it wasn't plugged in). She managed to get way under my daughter's bed (this after my daughter put blankets and other stuff all around the bottom of the bed so the dog wouldn't get at her stuff underneath - and managed to pull out items that were way in the middle of bed, and began chewing and eating them up.

So you can be in the room with her - so she isn't alone, tied up, without any toys, or any of these things you think are boredom.. and she still chews.

On the positive side - I've never seen a dog with cleaner, whiter teeth.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 07:04 am
@Linkat,
A Kong worked for me. Add some mental challenge to the mix. Maybe agility training or dock diving if you can work that out. Is there a pool handy.
Linkat

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:05 am
@Ragman,
No pool around but I did find a dog park that has agility set up it is a little bit of a drive for a dog park but u did want to bring her to it to see what she would do. The one down side she gets car sick. Sadly found out about half way to a weekend away .., what a mess.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2019 09:43 am
Ug - so when my husband and I went to work this morning - we had the dogs in a room (one that at some point we hope to update) - anyway this is a good sized room that has a big opening (rather than a door) to the rest of the house - I use this as my office.

It is a nice room with lots of windows. So we had the large opening blocked by two large dog crates - so instead of crating her we put her with her little buddy our crazy shih tzu in the room with plenty of open air, toys and water. My daughters were home but still sleeping. A couple of hours later when my daughter got up - she tore up the carpet in one corner. They have each other to play with and plenty of toys - I don't like to crate her but that is the only way to prevent her from destroying things.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2019 10:39 am
There is a JW brand of chew bone - rubber I think. My dog, a shepherd/lab has had one of those for several months.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dog treat/toys for aggressive chewers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:29:21