Cheese chasers break bones going down hill

Reyn

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:09 pm
Contestants break bones chasing cheese down a hill in Gloucestershire, England
at 13:28 on May 30, 2005, EST.

http://www.cknw.com/shared/cp/xml/oddities/K053019AU.jpg
Chris Anderson, 17, clasps his Double Gloucester cheese as he waits to be taken away on a stretcher, suffering a sprained ankle, after claiming first prize in one of the races in the ancient daredevil sport of cheese rolling at Cooper's Hill in Brockworth, England, Monday, (AP Photo/Barry Batchelor, PA)

LONDON (AP) - Contestants in a traditional British cheese rolling competition broke bones and skinned their knees and elbows Monday in their pursuit of a giant piece of cheese down a steep hill.

The competition, in which participants hurl themselves 200 metres down a hill after a 3 1/2-kilogram cheese, has been celebrated for centuries in Gloucestershire, west of London.

The race is thought to originate from a pagan festival to welcome spring. The first person to follow the cheese across the line at the bottom of the hill wins the cheese and a small cash prize.

Thousands of people attended Monday's event and the local ambulance service reported three people were taken to hospital with suspected fractured limbs, while 18 were treated for bruises and abrasions.

Teenager Chris Anderson, who won one of four cheese rolling races contested Monday, was taken to hospital on a stretcher, clutching his winning slab of cheese to his chest.

"The pain was worth it," Anderson said. "This cheese is going straight in a cupboard when I get home. It's definitely not for eating."

The winner of the women's event was a New Zealander, Dione Carter, who said she took a few tumbles as she won the race for the second year running.

Organizer Richard Jefferies said Monday's event ran smoothly and injuries were down on previous years.

"It's a good part of the local heritage and a tradition we would like to keep going," Jefferies said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 757 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:20 pm
Cheese chasing.

Maybe we should reconsider our alliance.

Joe(Watch out, it's a Gouda)Nation
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:54 pm
http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/568/3635314.44b341.jpg
In this photo released by the Municipality of Paraiba do Sul, Brazilian Sculptor Ivan Pinto poses next to a statue of the late Yasser Arafat at his studio in Paraiba do Sul. The life-like statue is made entirely of gouda cheese.

On Dec. 31, moments before the clock strikes midnight, town residents will watch a fireworks and light show that will serve as a backdrop to the unveiling of the statue of the Palestinian leader holding the traditional symbol of peace, the olive branch.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:07 pm
Behold the power of cheese indeed...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:53 pm
Reyn wrote:
Brazilian Sculptor Ivan Pinto poses next to a statue of the late Yasser Arafat at his studio in Paraiba do Sul. The life-like statue is made entirely of gouda cheese.

Yasser would have been proud.....
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:19 pm
How does one get good at cheese rolling?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:29 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:

It should be possible to practice, no? Laughing
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:31 pm
I will try to remember that this is a sport, the next time I see someone chasing a rolling cheese
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:38 pm
Reyn wrote:
In this photo released by the Municipality of Paraiba do Sul, Brazilian Sculptor Ivan Pinto poses next to a statue of the late Yasser Arafat at his studio in Paraiba do Sul. The life-like statue is made entirely of gouda cheese.

On Dec. 31, moments before the clock strikes midnight, town residents will watch a fireworks and light show that will serve as a backdrop to the unveiling of the statue of the Palestinian leader holding the traditional symbol of peace, the olive branch.

Why make it in cheese Question Question Question Now I will be reminded of this post when I'm eating my much beloved cheese. Shocked
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:48 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Why make it in cheese Question Question Question Now I will be reminded of this post when I'm eating my much beloved cheese. Shocked

hehe, Actually, you are the first person to ever question the above picture and article. Let's just say, I had a little fun with it when I first posted it. Laughing I'll leave it there. Maybe you'll be lucky to Google it and catch me out.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:53 pm
I could not find an article on the cheese man. You made it up right? This article on A2K keeps coming up. Tell me, tell me, tell me.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
That's a gouda story, Reyn. But I think that Brazilian sculptor has really created a muenster. He has made Arafat look like a stinking abbot.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
I could not find an article on the cheese man. You made it up right? This article on A2K keeps coming up. Tell me, tell me, tell me.

No, the article is true. Honest. I just substituted a very key point. :wink:

I've been naughty....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
That's a gouda story, Reyn. But I think that Brazilian sculptor has really created a muenster. He has made Arafat look like a stinking abbot.

Could be, could be. I've been waiting a long time for someone to catch me out.

There could possibly be a few more like that around in the Humane Disinterest Dept. :wink:
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:02 pm
What key point was substituted?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:

Eat lots of cheese rolls, of course.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:40 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
What key point was substituted?

I have to leave it up to the detectives to roust that out. It's no fun if I give it all away...... :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cheese chasers break bones going down hill
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:27:40