Why am I feeling like this?

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 03:28 pm
Lately I’ve been feeling really alone. I’m a teenager, I live with my family, who are nice people, but I still feel really empty. Since it’s been summer, I haven’t seen my friends lately, and most of the time I feel like I can only be myself around them, because they know me and get me. My family doesn’t get me or know me the way my friends do. So I’ve been feeling kind of down. I want to open up to my family more, but don’t know how. I feel like I can’t be myself around my family. In the upcoming school year, I will be attending the same high school as my brother. Which means that I feel like I won’t be able to be myself at school, either. I guess I’m just looking for advice.

jespah

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 06:07 pm
I have been in your boat.

I went to a 3 year high school and was in 10th grade when my brother was in 12th.

And I had similar concerns. After an initial "Oh, I bet you'll be exactly like H____." people realized we're individuals. Hard to believe H_____ and I share genetics. He also, BTW, left me to my own devices. I don't recall him interfering in my high school life at all.

As for your family and friends, it's totally okay. Friends are the family you choose, so it makes sense you would have more in common with them.

Will you ever be closer to your family? I have no idea. And that's 100% cool too.

And as for how you are feeling this summer, yeah, I get you. Best thing I can tell you is to try to occupy your mind and your time. Maybe you can babysit or mow lawns and make some $$ before school starts up again. Or maybe you can spend time reading for pleasure, nothing to do with school, whether it's to reread Harry Potter or discover something new.

You can also keep in touch with your friends and maybe plan something fun for when you're all back together.

And hang in there. School starts in, what, four weeks? So it's not forever. And bearing boring times, and entertaining yourself, are a good life skill to have.
LovelyandTrying

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 09:06 pm
@jespah,
Thank you! What you said really helps.
jespah

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 05:04 am
@LovelyandTrying,
Oh I'm so glad Smile

BTW, I started 10th grade in 1976. Some things never change.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why am I feeling like this?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:04:52