How does it feeeeel? (40 years on - Can you believe that?)

roger

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:23 pm
Yes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:27 pm
Let us know when you have your reunion, Roger!Very Happy
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 05:40 pm
I'm young, so I wasn't around when it was released, but the first time I heard the song I loved it. Recently I've been really listening to that sort of genre heavily(like 60s/70s acoustic stuff-Neil Young, CSNY, Dylan, Cat Stevens etc.) and I love it. Anyone have some more obscure stuff I can dive into?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:06 pm
Obscure... well, much of what is sort of obscure to you is apt to be comfortable to a bunch of us. And much of which you are very comfortable with is for sure new to me.

Maybe we could work out tradesies...

but, perhaps on another thread as this one is really about Dylan, and that might turn into more than a few posts.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:15 pm
the first time i heard it i was in langdon north dakota on a forced visit to the family and 'grandma's' wheat farms for the summer. they figured that would teach me and straighten my arse out....i was 12 or 13 i think. i found a radio station in winnepeg and one in grand forks or fargo that played ok tunes. i'm not sure which station i heard it on but it got to me, right in the gut. i didn't bring my guitar but i whined enough, faked sick and caused enough trouble that they sent me back to beantown where all the action was. i picked up my guitar and retired to the basement and learned to play as many dylan tunes as i could.
i've seen him so many times i can't remember them all right now but in lots of coffee houses, college's, small clubs and theaters, in boston, cambridge, worcester, the village in nyc (my sis lived on bleecker st in the west village, was a nanny for ten years for a film producer/director; a great 'in' to what was going on and a free place to stay to boot). in maine, nh and vermont and also in newport. it was a great era to grow up in, for me at least...
off and on i think back now sometimes,,,i hear the tunes in my head from a time long ago when i truly Was sleeping on the floor in a loft and the heat pipes would just cough all night, and these visions, of johanna were all....
thank you bob,,,,,
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:48 pm
I saw a documentary about Bob Dylan a few years ago on VH1. When they came to the time when he went electric, showing him plugging in his guitar at New Port in '65, strumming a bit, getting warmed up, yelling at his band, "LET'S GO!" and ripping into "Maggie's Farm," I was floored, just absolutely floored.

He was booed by the crowd.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:35 am
Child of the Light

Lovely to see that you're enjoying the music us "oldies" listened too! It's always wonderful to discover (for the first time) tried & true music from any era, I think. Good music endures! Very Happy The funny thing is, I rarely listen to the music I loved at your (guessed) age much any more. It's as though I've heard it so many times already, I know it through & through ... so why just stop there? These days I hear something I like - I buy it & listen. Same as you, I guess. Very Happy

osso

"Tradesies"! What a good idea! Someone should start a thread ..... Very Happy

mikey

What wonderful tales you have to tell! I'm so jealous of the experiences that you've had! (I'm certain there are lots more than you've mentioned. Have you considered starting a thread to share these sorts with others?) You are very fortunate to have seen Bob (so many times!) at the height of his powers ... angry, snarling & deep! Laughing Ah, those visions of johanna ... <sigh>
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:41 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
I'm young, so I wasn't around when it was released, but the first time I heard the song I loved it. Recently I've been really listening to that sort of genre heavily(like 60s/70s acoustic stuff-Neil Young, CSNY, Dylan, Cat Stevens etc.) and I love it. Anyone have some more obscure stuff I can dive into?

nick drake

the small faces

the faces
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:09 pm
If you think Dylan is obscure, check out The Mommas and the Poppas.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:27 pm
Child of the Light wrote:

Try Chuck Berry or Neil Diamond. You won't be sorry. To give you a specific song name for each, listen to "Maybelline" by Berry or "Solitary Man" by Diamond.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:31 pm
msolga wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I recall when he first went electric. I felt betrayed, until I bought the album. Same Dylan, expanded repertoire, I quickly discovered.

Yes!

Impure! Traitor to the cause! Sell out! Pop star! Boo hiss!

Pretty quaint, the reaction, wasn't it? Laughing

I once saw an interview with Dylan in front of a lot of reporters, not after he went electric, but after he changed from socially relevant folk to plain old rock. Some reporter asked him something like whether he thought he had let people down, and he said, "Maybe I should feel guilty, but I don't." I thought it was funny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:48 pm
The real joke is that Dylan continued to write socially relevant material his entire career. Being a rock star did not change his message at all. As a rock star he wrote Neighborhood Bully, Hurricane, Poor Immigrant, License to Kill, Idiot Wind, Political World, Tears of Rage, and scads more. This is from one of his newer songs:

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
"You can't open your mind, boys
To every conceivable point of view."
They got Charles Darwin trapped out there on Highway Five
Judge says to the High Sheriff,
"I want him dead or alive
Either one, I don't care."
High Water everywhere
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 02:59 pm
You don't see too many artists like Dylan in any given generation.

"...Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now."
0 Replies

Vicki G

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:20 am
Well, I was only 4 years old when the song first came out, so I don't remember what I was doing or what Ithought.. I was too busy playing with my cousins and driving my mom nuts..that was my life's work at the time...
0 Replies