Must Read News

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:35 am
Yes, the news biz can be a tough and competitive lot.

Glad you found your way over here. With a bit of encouragement from the public, who knows what stories could be unearthed.... Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:43 am
Know, Miss Reyn, that in your lonely crusade for truth, justice and the Canajun way, you have a supporter south of the line . . .
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:26 am
Setanta wrote:
Know, Miss Reyn, . . .

Miss? Hmm, I'll bet that'll confuse the heck outa my wife! Laughing

Thanks for the support though....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 11:29 am
No problem Boss . . . so they're right up to date with same sex marriage there in BC, huh?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:23 pm
Want a job at Must Read News? :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 01:28 pm
Got the proper attitude, ain't i . . .

Depends, is there a Tim Horton's or a Coffee Time near the corporate offices? Mmmmmmmmmmm . . . doughnuts . . .
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:03 pm
Laughing Corporate offices.....hehehe! Gotta win the lottery first.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:15 pm
Well, i won't work for peanuts . . . i gotta insist upon at least doughnuts, eh?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:30 pm
Baby born with deformed tongue!

Must Read News
George Fingle
May 29, 2005

Dan and Maria Fletcher revealed today that their recently born son, Bryan, was born with an unusually long tongue.

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/568/3635318.933d7b.jpg
Baby Bryan shows off his lengthy tongue for the press.

The couple said that they've tried to keep the story under wraps for a couple of weeks, but the neighbors and townsfolk had been talking when they were taking Bryan out in public. They thought it best to hold a news conference with Dr. Purpora, who is their doctor.

"Bryan is perfectly healthy", Purpora said. "The only problem is that he has a very rare disorder. I'd tell you the name of it, but I can't quite remember it right now. It's just on the tip of my tongue."

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/568/3635313.b3ef15.jpg
Doctor Purpora delivered the Fletchers' baby.

"Despite his tongue, Bryan is a happy boy", says his parents. We hope he will grow up to have a normal life.

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/568/3635316.8562df.jpg
"We love our son, no matter what!", quipped Dan Fletcher.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:11 pm
AGING BURGLAR RIPS OFF HIS OWN HOME BY MISTAKE
... then calls the cops when he thinks someone else robbed his house!

Must Read News
George Fingle

Talk about poetic justice: A blind professional burglar inadvertently robbed his own home!

Career criminal Jack Penning, 66, suffers from macular degeneration and had recently become legally blind, according to authorities in Perth, Australia.

"The man's a real-life Mr. Magoo," says a police spokesman.

"Mr. Penning snuck around to the rear of the luxury apartment complex where he resides and entered through the second-story window of what he thought was a neighbor's apartment in Building No. 4 -- but was in actuality his own dwelling in Building No. 3.

"All the apartments are laid out the same way and as he hurriedly ripped off the stereo, TV and approximately $180 in cash from the entertainment center, he was unable to recognize it as his own."

After gleefully selling his "booty" to a fence, Penning returned home -- and soon after entering the front door, realized his belongings were missing and called the police.

"After following footprints outside the back window, it didn't take investigators long to figure out what happened," the spokesman said.

Penning was initially arrested for burglary, but charges against the blind-as-a-bat felon were later dropped by a judge who cited English common law that makes it "impossible for a man to steal his own property."

The bungled heist, which took place in broad daylight, was a far cry from the exploits of Penning's younger days. In his heyday in the 1970s through the mid-1990s when he was known as "The Cat," he is believed to have committed as many as 600 successful burglaries.

But since his eyesight began to fail earlier this year, it's been all downhill.

"I know my eyes aren't what they used to be. My daughter has been telling me to retire," he said, explaining his actions in court.

"I thought I would do O.K. if I kept it simple and tried a job right there in the complex instead of trying to drive across town. But I must have counted the buildings wrong and then once I got in, everything was a blur."

When cops first accused Penning of robbing himself, he denied it. "I knew they were going to have a big laugh at my expense as soon as I admitted it -- and they certainly did," he told the judge.

The judge admonished the oldster for his behavior and advised him to seek honest employment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/715000/images/_717024_martin300.jpg
"I feel like a real idiot!"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:19 pm
<snort!>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:19 pm
<must be the kitty cat avatar>
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:26 pm
Another satisfied customer, I hope?! Very Happy

Feedback is always appreciated..... :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:18 pm
FIRM HIRES PARROT TO ANSWER PHONE COMPLAINTS
... callers don't know they're talking to a bird!

A BUSY restaurant chain has found a novel way to field phone complaints from elderly customers: It's hired a parrot to answer the calls!

Since June 21, Pete the parrot has been manning the complaint line for the popular Pirate's Haven eateries in Australia.

"Older folks love to nitpick and call us about some perceived flaw in our service, but they got confused by our automated answering system," explains Pirate's Haven CEO Ralph Mason. "They want to complain to a live person -- and we learned from focus groups that they don't really care who it is.

"So I figured that instead of wasting the time of my employees -- who'd have their ears chewed off by some old duffer jabbering about how the lettuce is too crispy or the waitresses' skirts are too short -- why not just just teach a parrot to respond with a few key phrases?"

If a person calls the chain's Melbourne headquarters and presses "5" for the complaint department, their call is automatically directed to Pete. The bird listens patiently as the oldster prattles on. Whenever the person pauses, Pete utters one of 36 phrases. These include:

"I'm very sorry. It won't happen again."

"How can I make it up to you?"

"We'll send you some coupons."

Says Mason, "He's been trained to respond to certain words with particular phrases. For example, if the customer uses the term 'food poisoning,' that triggers Pete to say, 'I'm so sorry our food made you sick.'

"But we've found that it really doesn't matter if what the parrot says is appropriate or not. These lonely seniors just want a sympathetic ear."

Customer surveys show that most patrons feel "very satisfied" after their chats with 6-year-old Pete. But consumer advocates say the whole idea is for the birds.

"When a customer has a complaint, he or she deserves a valid response from a company -- not 'Polly wants a cracker,'" declares Kathryn Hammer, director of the Australian Diners Association.

http://www.davidglasser.net/ifhos/pix/Alex.jpg
Pete
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:06 pm
George Fingle dies suddenly

June 4, 2005
Must Read News

It's a very sad day today at Must Read News. George Fingle died suddenly last night of a massive heart attack. Not only is his family in shock, but also we at the news agency.

George is survived by his wife, Fiona, and sons Felix and Fiasel. He was 52 years old. The funeral will be held at Great Lawn Cemetery on June 6th. The family asks that their privacy be respected and for the public to attend the memorial in the afternoon at 3pm at the Masonic Hall on 6th Street.

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/579/3707044.b8032c.jpg
George Fingle (1953 - 2005)

This comes as a big blow to this news agency. It would appear as if we will have to cease publication. George's shoes are too big to be filled.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Must Read News
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:50:22