Today, it is humans who are the asteroid

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:54 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

They give off energy when they split just like any other heavy atom does.
which isotopes are you talking about here?
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:21 am
@oralloy,
most all the actinides will end up with Pu as a stepdaughter, till<many millions years llater for one or two) when they fission out. Pb207

So we re still tuck with "waste". We use the waste by reprocessing so the "actinide " dream , really doesnt exist
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
which isotopes are you talking about here?

All isotopes of uranium, neptunium, plutonium, americium, and curium. Maybe a few others.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinide
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
most all the actinides will end up with Pu as a stepdaughter, till<many millions years llater for one or two) when they fission out. Pb207
So we re still tuck with "waste".

Not if we consume them as fuel in a sodium-cooled reactor.

farmerman wrote:
We use the waste by reprocessing so the "actinide " dream , really doesnt exist

Only because the environmental movement insists that we poison the planet by dumping valuable fuel as "waste".
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:42 am
@oralloy,
I know youre trying to sound lik youve got experience in what you speak. I am guessing that you spend a lot of time on the net eh?
Look up Soium 24 and the accidents that are almost impossible to prevent using MOS and Sodium coolnt.

Sodium is explosive in presence of water and water is the best adsorbant and will be forever.

The issus of safety seem to miss our discussion. .
Anyway , as I said before, were not here to play nuke school(last Im not cause I still maintain a Q).

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I know youre trying to sound lik youve got experience in what you speak.

I'm not trying to do anything. It sounds like I know what I'm talking about because I do know what I'm talking about.

farmerman wrote:
Sodium is explosive in presence of water

The risk can be managed and the reactors can be made reasonably safe.

farmerman wrote:
The issus of safety seem to miss our discussion. .

That's because I was talking of waste elimination, not of safety.

If you want safety, you want the prism variant of the helium-cooled carbon-moderated high-temperature reactors. They are meltdown proof.

The only drawback is we'd have nuclear waste. TRISO pellets are not made for reprocessing.

I think the elimination of long-lived nuclear waste is worth the risk of sodium-cooled reactors. But if safety is more important than nuclear waste, that's a choice the country can make.
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:33 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The risk can be managed and the reactors can be made reasonably safe
60% of the lab reactors that used Na cooling have either exploded or burnt up because its not a matter of if.

You only THINK you know of what you speak. Actually youre a bit (a lot), naive . You pick out sides and assert without ven looking at the downsides and alternatives.
Thats the basis of fanaticism, ya know??

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
60% of the lab reactors that used Na cooling have either exploded or burnt up because its not a matter of if.

You're exaggerating.

farmerman wrote:
You only THINK you know of what you speak.

I'm right to think it.

farmerman wrote:
Actually youre a bit (a lot), naive.

My facts are all in order.

farmerman wrote:
You pick out sides and assert without ven looking at the downsides and alternatives.
Thats the basis of fanaticism, ya know??

The alternative to consuming all the actinides as fuel is: securely storing them as waste for 10 million years.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
It certainly seems that you have scientific knowledge that you use in a practical business sense, but the great majority of people here (including me) don't really know whether you do or you are someone who spends a lot of time on the net (You do spend a lot of time here for a businessman)

I've always been content to give you the benefit of the doubt and still am, but I have to say your continuously condescending attitude towards anyone who dares to challenge you on science is unattractive.

A great many of the "scientists" upon who you rely upon for support of your political opinions are academics who spend a lot of time in books if not the net. This is not to denigrate them in any way, but I suspect you might if they disagreed with you.

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Im mostly retired so I spend
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think Ive been fairly mild with oralloy bcause hes posted a continuous line of Politically driven "science".
Ive admitted that I was, until about 4 years ago, a devout skeptic about human driven Climate Change. As a geochemist (a prospetor with advanced degrees) and maybe 40 years of expeeince with radionuclides, I jut get very frustrated with individuals who assert **** that just aint so.
Ive admitted that THORIUM would have made a useable nuke fuel because it was never thought to be able to be weaponized. Thats changed a lot in the last decade. When someone argues science and peppers their assertions with insults like he does , Ive got nothing holding me back. If Oralloy is a as smart as he claims he shouldnt just be hanging on to one mantra and insulting others without even considering its limitations and challenges to our pet theories. Oh yeh, I missed this point. Hes been touting the Transuranics (actinides) as nuke duel. Fact is,using just cuurium as an example. Its already a daughter product of Uranium/Plutonium in nuke reactors. Spent nuke fuel (1 long ton makes about 18 Grams of curium)

I really believe that Sodium cooled reactors arent ready for prime time, they are accident prone and several hve actually xploded. I did NOT say anything about ceasing research but becoming a bumper sticker for the technology sounds a little like gungasnkes "Electric universe" and how evolution dosnt occur. Im not accusing oralloy of such extremist views but when he goes off the edge he does it with his own brand of insult. So I think Ive earned my smarminess, Ive studied and worked in the industry. I dont spend much time with Wikipedia on radionuclides , I sometimes request corrections of them.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
I'm only equipped to argue with you on 2% or less of scientific topics.

It's not about knowledge, it's about arrogance and I don't mean to single you out on this.

Science and public policy intersect. One doesn't need a Ph.D. in the former to comment on the latter.

Few things piss me off more than the idiotic notion that political liberals own science. Jenny McCarthy is not a conservative. AOC telling us the world will end in 12 years is neither a conservative nor scientific. The ignorance on both sides is essentially equal. The attempt to render science into religion is not.
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You went right over my head with all that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
Well, we're even
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
who is thi Jnnie Mcarthy anyway. Ive only found something about an old Playmate of the month. Is that who youre talking about??

She looks like soma them babes they play on Fox to get the old men stirring in their pants.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ive admitted that THORIUM would have made a useable nuke fuel because it was never thought to be able to be weaponized. Thats changed a lot in the last decade.

Nothing has changed in the last decade. It has been known that thorium could be weaponized into U-233 since the dawn of the nuclear age.

This does not change the reality that thorium can be used as a nuclear fuel.

Uranium can be weaponized into Pu-239. That does not change the reality that uranium can be used as a nuclear fuel.

farmerman wrote:
When someone argues science and peppers their assertions with insults like he does, Ive got nothing holding me back.

You cannot point out any insults in any of my posts.

farmerman wrote:
I really believe that Sodium cooled reactors arent ready for prime time, they are accident prone and several hve actually xploded.

They are no more accident prone than any other modern reactor.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:29 pm
@farmerman,
She's only a major leader of the anti-vaccine movement. (But you knew that)

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 09:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
no I didnt, I really dont follow what those folks are babbling. Id rather she be remembered as Miss October.

The "evil diluent" crowd is like a number of other anti-science types. Only time I get to read what they're made of is places like herein.

Interesting though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 09:31 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It has been known that thorium could be weaponized into U-233 since the dawn of the nuclear age.
dont parade your ignorance as 'Wnlightenment", the facts about Th aponization fairly recent with th discoveryof several newer trigger mechanisms and initiation (but you knew that)
oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 09:58 pm
@farmerman,
That would be your ignorance. I'm the one who actually knows what he is talking about.

The fact that U-233 could be used to build weapons has been known since the dawn of the nuclear age.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:56:21