let's get magic! best gigs you've been to?

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 03:37 am
Well, i just want to brag about the adventure i had last night. it all started on the magic bus from withington to mcr town centre, which isn't usually that magic but tonight was different. While on the magic bus my friend dave and I ingested some magic mushrooms, how fun! then we walked into the academy to see the magic band, and d'yer know what? it was magic!! they we're easily one of the best live acts i've ever seen, those guys are ace musicians and showmen (and denny walley looks like biffa bacon's mam). i've had a few albums for a while and loved them but now i've seen them do it live i have a whole new level of respect for them. can anyone beat that? what are the best gigs you've attended??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 6
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:09 am
this is going to give away my age, not to mention being only of interest to longtime jazz fans, but a few decades back, while living in LA, i heard about the Blue Mitchell benefit at the musician's union. (Blue Mitchell was a trumpeter--best known for his stint with Horace Silver--who had just passed away.) twas summer, the Playboy Jazz fest at the Hollywood Bowl was taking place maybe a week later, so my mother & I sat for 9 or 10 hours on metal folding chairs in a room without AC and so much tobacco smoke we were hoarse for hours afterwards, and heard people like Sarah Vaughan, Chick Corea, Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Al Jarreau, Bill Henderson, side-by-side with total unknowns, including an all-woman big band called Maiden Voyage. i suppose it should have been a sad occasion, but i had a fabulous time, even though i couldn't stick around to see the Toshiko Akiyoshi-Lou Tabackin big band, and whoever else hadn't appeared yet on stage.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:27 pm
Went to a Joe Satriani concert that was incredible. He blows away almost all guitarists I've listened to with originality and interesting music. I don't normally like instrumental rock but he does it REALLY good.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:47 pm
best concerts

stevie ray vaughn

tom waits

the roches
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:24 am
wow yitwail that jazz concert sounds really good. i'm going to glastonbury festival this year so i should get to see some good people there. i always camp next to the jazz stage to get the best music.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:43 am
Glastonbury, that's pretty cool; you can see Chalice Well at the same time, i presume. i may have to go myself, depending on who's playing.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:14 am
nah just go anyway, the year before last i went and didn't watch any bands, there was just no-one i fancied watching, but there's loads more stuff to do there. there's circuses and comediens and shows and lods of crazy stuff happening in the green fields at the back, not to mention all the markets.
0 Replies