Addressing emails, cards, notes, etc.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:54 am
Sozobe
sozobe wrote:
I'll be the counter-grump, I think traditions have their place and are important. We have so few shared traditions and experiences these days, and I think that is to our detriment as a society. See Joseph Campbell on this.

In terms of forms of address, I think part of it is whether it has been personally experienced as a form of oppression. To me, it has no particular baggage. When my husband got his Ph.D, my grandma started addressing letters to "Dr. and Mrs. Eegee Lastname." I thought it was sweet, he absolutely loved it.

The Grump's rebuttal.

My gripe is not about the people are able to easily afford show-off pageantry. It is about the "common" people who cannot but try to imitate the elite. They make fools of themselves and misdirect their financial investment in life's important needs.

As for professional titles, I have many doctor friends (from a previous employment) who don't like to be introduced as "doctor." They prefer to be introduced as John or Mary Doe and let their personality and intellect stand on its own merits. I know this will irk you, but I lack impression by Phd "doctor" titles even though I know the work it takes to achieve it. It has always seemed a bit pretentious to me. I prefer that people be known by the first and last name, not their titles unless it is professionally relevant to the occasion. For example, Doctor and Mrs. John Doe seems silly to me. There is no relevance for use of the title. It's just putting on airs and makes it appear to be seeking respect.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:09 am
One of the precepts that my mother drummed into my skull:

"Don't spend other people's time or other people's money.

I know a few academic doctors--both male and female--who glory in the title of "Doctor". Fine. If you consider "doctor" as a part of your name, I'll call you "Doctor". I reserve a right to have a private opinion on the matter as I do on many matters of etiquette-- but that is nobody else's business.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:28 pm
The putting on airs part is part of why it was fun for him. He'd never ask for it; he'd never use "Dr." to refer to himself. But to have it offered of her [my grandma's] own accord tickled him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:19 pm
Grandmothers tend to think grandchildren are more important than Standard Usage.

Sozobe, I didn't mean to imply that EG is a Academic Flaunter. Obviously his grandmother makes her own rules.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:27 pm
Sozobe
sozobe wrote:
The putting on airs part is part of why it was fun for him. He'd never ask for it; he'd never use "Dr." to refer to himself. But to have it offered of her [my grandma's] own accord tickled him.

Your mate obviously doesn't need the doctor title because both of your senses of humor make you both classy people in my opinion.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:59 am
Aw, thanks BBB.

I totally agree that a certain kind of degree-flaunter is way annoying.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:12 am
I think always Mr and Mrs X... because it's just standard English and you don't monkey with tradition!!

Generally speaking we sign things Dad, Mum, older sister, me... just because it's kinda the way things are done and it stops any arguments about who goes where...

But i'd always address things to the person i know best
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:13 am
Seems to me that the easiest way to address something is to put the primary (from a relationship to the sender standpoint) person's name first. Since the card is being sent by a friend of Linkat's (as opposed to her husband) then her name should come first.

As for signing, if the card is being signed as "X and Y" then whomever is actually doing the signing should put their name first.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 12:22:38