Slow Connection Via Antenna.

Pitter

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:49 pm
I have a new internet connection that I receive via an antenna on my house. The company is called sidecom.com.co. I am disappointed at the slow speed compared to my old phone line connection. When I just checked the status of the connection the window gave this info:

Speed 100.0 Mbps

Packets Sent 18.791 Packets Received 1.267

What does all this mean and do those of you in the know recognize something here that would indicate a slow connection?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 526 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:35 pm
A packet is pretty small, it doesn't seem like much, if any, data is getting through at all. Pretty rare that actual speed will be a nice round number like 100 - that sounds like the maximum possible. Have sidecom got a helpdesk you can phone?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:15 pm
I can give the support number a call but I'm not overly hopefull.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:20 pm
Better luck than I had with yahoo mail help. It took them 5 days to return with an answer that basically suggested every possibility that I had already covered in my request for help.

We have such a system at work. With the antenna, I mean. Sometimes it is faster than my dialup at home, and sometimes not.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 04:03 pm
The packets info is really pretty useless for troubleshooting.

Your system apparently recognizes that there is a 100 MB/s connection but for any of a number of reasons you aren't sending or receiving data itself.

Can you tell if you've managed to pull an IP address? Check by going into your Control Panel, open the ""Network Connections" and double click on the connection listed. A status box should pop up. Click on the "Support" tab at the top of that box and see if you have picked up an IP address and an address for a Domain Name Server (DNS).

If those are all blank there should be a "Repair" button just below. Click it and see if Windows can work it out itself.
0 Replies