Democratic Debate #1 June 2019

Real Music

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 09:40 pm
@Lash,

Elizabeth Warren did better than everyone in the first night of debate.

Kamala Harris did better than everyone in the second night of debate.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 11:58 pm
@Lash,
Bernie Sanders was a a bit disappointing in his very first response.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:06 am
@Sturgis,
Yeah, what happened to him?

He seemed angry, confused and spitting out responses that didn't actually answer the questions. Reiterating facts but he didn't apply them to his policies.

I didn't see him as a guiding light, I saw a dimming star...
Lash

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 07:12 am
@Sturgis,
What was the first question about?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 02:08 pm
@Lash,
It dealt with the cost of Meidcare for all and how much the increased tax burden would be on the middle class. Specifically, would there be an increase.

After not directly answering, the moderator repeated herself and almost implored Sanders to respond on it during his last 30 seconds. He took more than half that time before finally saying the middle class would pay more taxes. He attempted to soften the blow by saying they'd be paying less for insurance.

I wonder will all middle class taxpayers pay higher taxes or only those at the top tier? How about those towards the middle?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 02:09 pm
@neptuneblue,
Definitely dimmed last night. It confused and saddened me somewhat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 02:44 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Yeah, what happened to him?

He seemed angry, confused and spitting out responses that didn't actually answer the questions. Reiterating facts but he didn't apply them to his policies.

I didn't see him as a guiding light, I saw a dimming star...

He always seems angry - about something.
Lash

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:20 pm
@Sturgis,
Ok, thanks. People who’ve read his platforms know this already, and when you have to boil down something that has several critical contributing facts that should be explained in order to for anybody to understand—and you are being called upon to explain it in one word, it’s completely unfair.

I would happily pay a tax instead if my$300. premium that only gets me in the door, a copay every time, the many additional hidden costs for bloodwork or any tests that need to be done—in addition to the fact that insurance companies are highly motivated to *deny* my claim! It has happened to me and it has happened to millions of people.

Please let me pay a tax that allows me to go the doctor and get the medical care I need without having to calculate if I can afford it or if I’m going to have to fight some faceless corporation designed to deny my claim.

People in this country have been brainwashed to think we cannot change. All other major countries use a system very similar to what Bernie has designed.

He had the right to explain the facts about M4A instead of allowing a biased newsperson to set him up unfairly.

I don’t know why anyone would choose the exorbitant, unreliable system we have over the chance to be able to get care every time they need it.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:28 pm
@roger,
Aw, that's just the way New Yorkers talk.
roger

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
OIC. Didn't know he was from New York, but I'll make allowance next time.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:36 pm
@Lash,
If that is what he would have done, it would have looked like he had a clue.

But he didn't.

This is what he said:

GUTHRIE: And we love our audience but we would like to ask them to keep their reactions to a minimum and we are not going to hold back making sure that candidates stick to time. So with that business take care–taken care of let’s get to it and we are going to start today with Senator Sanders. Good evening to you. You have called for big new government benefits like universal healthcare and free college. In a recent interview you said you suspected that Americans would be quote delighted to pay more taxes for things like that. My question to you is will taxes go up for the middle class in a Sanders administration? And if so how do you sell that to voters?

SANDERS: Well, you are quite right. We have a new vision for America and at a time when we have three people in this country owning more wealth than the bottom half of America, while 500,000 people are sleeping out on the streets today we think it is time for change, real change.

And by that I mean that healthcare in my view is a human right and we have got to pass a Medicare for all single-payer system.

Under that system by the way vast majority of the people in this country will be paying significantly less for healthcare than they are right now. I believe that education is the future for this country and that is why I believe that we must make public colleges and universities tuition-free and eliminate student debt and we do that by placing a tax on Wall Street.

Every proposal that I have brought forth is fully paid for.

GUTHRIE: Senator Sanders I will give you 10 seconds just to ask the–answer the very direct question will you raise taxes for the middle class in a Sanders administration?

SANDERS: People who have healthcare under Medicare for all will have no premiums, no deductibles, no copayments, no out of expe–out-of-pocket expenses. Yes, they will pay more in taxes but less in healthcare for what they get.

GUTHRIE: Thank you Senator.

So tell me, how Sanders was "allowing a biased newsperson to set him up unfairly"?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 05:45 pm
Everybody did the same. Their goals were to spit out their plans or make an impression, or parlay an answer into a laundry list of achievements...

Bernie answered the question like most everyone else.

At least he answered it.

Biden rambled around several pointed questions, and I was left a little pissed that Guthrie didn’t call him on it.

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 05:56 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
He had the right to explain the facts about M4A instead of allowing a biased newsperson to set him up unfairly.

If everyone did the same then why are you again claiming that Bernie is getting treated unfairly?

Exactly how is he getting treated unfairly?

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 07:38 pm
@neptuneblue,
Did you notice that the moderators were pretty strict about everyone limiting their remarks to 1 minute?

Did you notice how they allowed Harris to talk for several minutes without interruption?

They gave a special allowance to Buttigieg, too.

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 07:51 pm
@Lash,
I noticed everyone talking out of turn.

Which led to Kamala Harris to make her remark about food fights.

So, in your mind, that's unjustly unfair to Bernie cuz he didn't fling "food" fast enough?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 06:55 am
You should read this.
https://www.salon.com/2019/06/28/democratic-debate-night-2-kamala-harris-knew-she-was-on-tv-and-it-paid-off/

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 07:22 am
@Lash,
Ok, I read it.

And it has NOTHING to do with your absurd claim that Bernie was treated unfairly or unjustly.

The thing is, you were probably right he got the shaft the first time around.

But now, he really has to EARN it. And he lost it.

SO with all of your shuffling the papers around, you're still trying desperately to make it seem Bernie is getting cheated.

He isn't.

He looked awful. If that's how he's going to present his campaign, he needs to step up. Or step out.

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 08:33 am
@neptuneblue,
As you may notice, I’m not desperately trying to do anything. I don’t like that some candidates were allowed to speak longer. Period.

The format of ten people on a stage shows a certain skill set. It’s definitely not designed for a candidate to be able to explain how complicated policies will work.

The skill set shown in these debates is useful, but doesn’t address what kind of president the candidate will be.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2019 06:33 am
Kamala Harris is eliciting a lot of opinions in the black community. If the California blacks communicate with the South Carolina blacks, she won’t get far.

BLACK CENTRAL
@goblackcentral
·
1m
It was refreshing to see @KamalaHarris destroy Biden and his racist positions. However, it does NOT protect Kamala or excuse Kamala from receiving much deserved criticism for her previous anti-Black policies as a 'Top Cop' prosecutor in California. Check out @BlakeDontCrack

ChuckModi
@ChuckModi1
· 12h
Given incredible media protection of Joe Biden, the Kamala Harris moment was important. We have a corporate media that won’t hold him accountable & she forced issue which forces media.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2019 09:51 am
Trump Jr. sparks 'birther conspiracy' of Kamala Harris

During the Democratic presidential debate, Donald Trump Jr. retweeted to his millions of followers a critic
of Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris, who took issue with her racial identity, before
deleting the tweet. A spokesman for President Donald Trump's son told the New York Times that it was a
misunderstanding.

Published June 30, 2019
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:58:10