Democratic Debate #1 June 2019

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 06:33 pm
I think I’ll live tweet it, but I’ll be bringing insights and shenanigans here as well. Feel free to have fun, gripe, and share impressions.

Liz Warren is the current major player at the kiddie table. Who will be conciliatory and follow the DNC line, avoiding criticism of other candidates, and who will get daggers out for Liz or absent front-runners to climb the ladder?

Starting in 30 minutes.

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:00 pm
@Lash,
The cast of characters:
4 current or former Congressmen/women: O’Rourke, Gabbard, Delaney, Ryan
3 Senators: Klobuchar, Booker, Warren
2 Mayors: Castro, de Blasio
1 Governor: Inslee

Gabbard has recently lost a lot of my interest, but still interested to see if she can surprise me.

O'Rourke had a debacle recently, suggesting families without service personnel in active wars shuld pay a war tax. I wonder if anyone has told him our tax money already pays plenty for wars...

Klobuchar might be the most conservative tonight - which will be interesting to see if she goes up or down because of it.

I think Delaney is an idiot musclehead. He promises to attack Bernie.

I know Warren is a favorite. I don't trust her to do anything she says.

De Blasio says a lot of stuff that sounds smart to me, but again. No trust.

I wonder if anybody has any ideas about what to do at the border and if anyone has commitment statements about addressing climate control meaningfully.

I have increased respect for Booker, but he comes off like a grandstander.

Getting close to time. Mr. Green

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:08 pm
Beto spends most of his time speaking Spanish.

Everyone suddenly sounds like Bernie, but all the questions are based on Bernie's plans not working.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:15 pm
Castro gets points for ERA. Why in hell is that still not done?

Gabbard sounded great - anti-war.
De Blasio came out strong and progressive, but I don't believe him. What's he done?
Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:20 pm
Liz is scoring big points for leading in green energy and green jobs. I watched a magnificent documentary on it. It's the future, and it needs to start now.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:38 pm
Bernie has dragged this party left! I wish I believed any of these leftier people would commit to their plans.

Booker, Warren, Castro, Gabbard, and De Blasio talk impressively.
The others are too conservative.

Beto seems a little crazy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:45 pm
Castro is attacking Beto. Not sure who looks worse.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:50 pm
Tim Ryan just doesn't resonate.
I can't stand Jay Inslee.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 08:05 pm
Did Savannah Guthrie forget to turn her mic off? Technical difficulties!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:14 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
DeBlasio came out strong and progressive,
but I don't believe him. What's he done?

He wants to be king...er, I mean President. Seriously, he tries to present himself as a Progressive and even lists Bernie Sanders as a close friend. (Since when do friends try taking away the chance of a lifetime from another?)
He is environmentally unfriendly. A group of SUVs travel some 10 miles (each way) so he can still take a trip to Brooklyn where he is a gym member. It's at a YMCA. There are several closer locations which would not make a traffic nightmare or cause excessive polution.

What has he done? Mixed bag. Under his "leadership" NYC did get Pre-K for all. Free lunch for all . Rent increases have been at a smaller percentage than under his predecessor.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:15 pm
So, basically, DeBlasio knows how to campaign and talk. He also is a bit underhanded.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 09:25 pm
That's basically what I think of all of them. Several sounded great, but I could too if I just parroted everything Sanders has been saying.

There were some good moments.

Castro sort of won the thing if you go for who had the crowd, who came through with strong policies and made the most of their time.

Tulsi Gabbard was very strong with anti-war statements and clipped Ryan at the knees.

I hope Delaney, Ryan, and Klobuchar will go away.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 08:38 am
Today, the fallout that I’m seeing is:
Beto is an idiot who can’t think on his feet.
Castro is going to get a bump and more funding, as is Tulsi.
Ryan, Delaney, Beto, Klobuchar, and Inslee should be dropping out soon.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 02:52 pm
Quote:
A swarm of pro-Trump trolls from Reddit and 4chan drove up Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s (D-HI) numbers in a post-debate Drudge poll, getting the results into The Hill and The Daily Mail.

The Hill ran a piece headlined: “Drudge instant poll shows Gabbard winning first Democratic debate in landslide.” The Daily Mail went with: “First poll has Tulsi Gabbard as the shock winner of the first Democratic debate and Beto O’Rourke as the clear loser.”

According to NBC News, the trolls’ efforts, called “brigading,” netted Gabbard 40 percent of the votes in the Drudge poll. A separate effort launched on Reddit’s r/The_Donald channel urged users to vote for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio in a bid to drive the rest of the Democratic field further left.
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 05:19 pm
And in further reference to the above...
Quote:
Tulsi Gabbard Is Having A MAGA Moment After Her Debate Performance
“I think a lot of people would vote for her over Trump,” Mike Cernovich said. “MAGA people.” Ann Coulter is considering it.
BuzzFeed
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 05:35 pm
If you watched the debate, you'd have to say that Gabbard was self-possessed, straight-forward, and commanding with foreign policy IF you are anti-war.

I realize a LOT of brigandage is afoot - especially from paid stooges by the elitist Biden donors and Hillaryites who feel a need to beat Bernie, so I guess some Trumpies might try to choose a D candidate they don't think can win. Certainly, that exact shite is why we have a president Trump - because Hillary's campaign elevated Trump, thinking she could beat him. We all saw how that went.

As you see, since I did a play by play, I mentioned when Tulsi did well. It wasn't fake.

Her primary problems - and she mentioned this one during the debate: she has a history of anti-gay feelings and, I think, action. She's repented since - if you believe her.

She met with Assad. Although that was a plus in my notebook, most people distrust her for it.

She cozied with Modi who is suspected widely of pretty damning behavior toward Muslims and Christians.

Some of this is without definitive proof, so I'm constantly getting splinters on the Tulsi fence.

But no one who is honest and has any sense of right and wrong can deny she rose to the top tier last night.

I'd say:

1. Castro
2. Warren (for just not vomiting on herself - which is all she really had to do)
3. Booker or Tulsi. (Booker talked a lot and didn't do poorly at all, but the few times Tulsi spoke - it mattered.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 06:59 pm
I think Biden is going down.
Maybe Pete, too.
Kamala might dodge bullets because of the those disasters.

Williamson and Swalwell and Gillibrand should be confurmed as not ready for prime time tonight.
Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 07:42 pm
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised but I am. Biden and Pete have skated so far.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 07:46 pm
My rubric just turned upside down: Marianne Williamson just called everybody else to account for what they are saying now with such urgency must be done... what have they BEEN DOING for years?

That’s MY line.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 07:50 pm
Kamala is having a good night. I like that she draws a distinction from Obama’s deportation policies.

1. Forums
  2. » Democratic Debate #1 June 2019
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 09:47:52