Want to overcome my prejudice towards trans & non-binary folk

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 10:57 am
Hey there. 
I consider myself a queer feminist. I've been on marches, organised women's rights meet ups and even have a blog dedicated to women and LGBT rights.

The problem is, I can't extend my empathy to trans people. I feel uncomfortable around them and get annoyed when they call out actors or singers on social media for not being more trans-inclusive. (mainly the argument that only trans people can play trans people in movies or TV, which I find ridiculous and wrong)

And also the non-binary issue. The instance of the they/them pronouns are a bit much. Everyone, including myself, have felt less feminine or masculine than their assigned gender at birth. It's normal. But I have a problem when they get angry that we're not using a female or male pronoun to them.

I really want to be a good ally to *everyone*, but I can't seem to get over these issues. Can anyone help me with this?

HabibUrrehman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 11:09 am
@Bennybatchlover,
You can't please everyone in this world. The one you should try to please is your and my creator. If you try to please your creator,everything else will fall in place.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 12:44 pm
@Bennybatchlover,
Have you ever been called by the wrong name? Walked into the wrong room? Got a gift or a recommendation (oh, you'll love it!) that turns out to be 100% wrong, as if the recommender didn't know you at all?

Now imagine the thing that doesn't fit is your own skin. People keep pushing you to answer to that wrong name, to stay in that wrong room, and smile and pretend you love that thing you can't stand.

Amp that up to infinity. Every single day of your life. Unless you make a change.

I am not trans. But this is how I see trans folks. I do my best to put myself in their shoes. I probably get less than 5% of it right.

It's empathy. It's doing your best to walk a mile in the other person's shoes. Just like you do with people who are not the same race as you, the same gender, the same age, or fans of the same sports team.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 01:48 pm
@Bennybatchlover,
As a minority in this country, I've learned to be more accepting of differences in people, and it doesn't matter what that difference might be. I don't judge people on race, color, sexual orientation, or other "groups" that may or may not suffer from discrimination. I find most things "natural" to the human animal. Of coarse, there are laws against unlawful discrimination, but most of us understand most discrimination can operate underground and some in the legal system of this country. It is known fact that blacks tend to spend more time in prison for the same crimes committed by whites. Asians suffered open discrimination before, during and after WWII. We also suffered from the "bamboo ceiling" in employment; Asians were not promoted to management positions although their education record were very good. I didn't suffer any bamboo ceiling during my work life, and was promoted to management positions during my working career. I also did small business consulting in Silicon Valley, and made a good living at it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 06:44 am
@Bennybatchlover,
The secret to overcoming prejudice is to to accept people as human beings who are different than you

I am curious, when you say "I have a problem when thy get angry that we're not using a female of male pronoun to them"... are you talking about people you know in person? It is a lot easier to have empathy for people you know personally than to have some generalized empathy for people on TV.

I personally don't think it is important to buy into the political nonsense. There are all kinds of public fights that in all honesty don't impact people in real life. I might get some flack for this... but really, do you think twitter battles and flame wars actually help people feel better or act better?

What matters is how you treat the real people in your life. If someone I know and care about asks me to change pronouns for them, I have no problem doing so. In this case it is a face to face conversation with two human beings, and it really isn't that difficult to understand the other person.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Want to overcome my prejudice towards trans & non-binary folk
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 02:28:29