'Art terrorist' hits British Museum with fake

Reyn

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 08:30 pm
'Art terrorist' hits British Museum with caveman fake

ABC News Online
Saturday, May 21, 2005. 11:27am (AEST)

The man dubbed the "art terrorist" has targeted the British Museum, planting a fake cave painting depicting a primitive man pushing a supermarket trolley.

Museum staff were alerted to the hoax after the creator of the fake cave painting, an artist known as Banksy, claimed via his web site that it had been there for some time.

He had used double-sided tape to stick the piece to a wall, alongside artefacts from Roman Britain.

He is already known for placing a painting of a woman wearing a gas mask and another of a can of budget soup in leading galleries in New York.

Although Banksy's work is almost always taken down after being discovered, commentators describe him as talented and expect his pieces will become prized items in years to come.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 576 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 04:24 pm
The book I'm reading right now has a character who does exactly that!

Does life imitate art or vice versa?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:48 pm
Which book is that?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:51 pm
"Haunted" by Chuck Palahnuik.

It's not for everybody. In fact, I'm not entirely sure it's for me. I usually like his books because they are so offbeat but this one is just gruesome.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:35 pm
Hmmm, yesterday, or was that this morning, when I was looking though ArtUpdates.com for links to put on the Museum and Gallery Exhibits thread (what a clunker, by the way) I ran across a piece with a grocery cart in it. That might even be one of the exhibits I linked to. I usually choose for diverse location and intelligible websites and varied art.

Back with a link in a bit.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'Art terrorist' hits British Museum with fake
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:50:41