Did Wall Mart destroy your towns spread of wealth?

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:10 pm
It did to Skowhegan Maine.Destroyed the entire ecostructure and fabric of our town and for what cheaper goods closer by.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,162 • Replies: 8
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:31 pm
Hard to say. Once they arrived they offered low prices, but not they have sloppy restocking and the products rarely are below the prices of other stores. The first and only time I tried to shop there, the product I was looking for was hard to find because the products were not where they were supposed to be, and you couldn't determine the cost without tracking down one of the members of the diminished workforce and asking them to scan the item. Personally, I find Wall-Mart to be a nightmare, and like my Grandmother used to say, you get what you pay for.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:41 pm
Not much selection, and it is a nightmare, all right. Still, they do help keep the others honest. I know the local merchants can't buy as low as walmart, but, before walmart, before sam's, and before they built the mall, we were being seriously ripped off. Now, they expect our support because they are local people.

Good to see glitterbag drop in, just whenever it happens.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:44 pm
yeap i agree
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:37 pm
You boys make me blush!!!! But think about this, smaller local stores are not exactly reaping huge profits (they never did) but they did care about what their customers wanted and would provide the items to keep the business. Now, we have a watered down system (creepily similar to the former USSR) where you are only allowed to buy what the huge corporation decides is what you need. You may have paid a few cents or dollars more to shop locally, but now you have the privilege of paying pretty much top dollar to the guys who buy in bulk and are no longer interested in passing the savings along. Frankly, why would they, they have cornered the market, driven small businesses under and are offering crap to the shoppers who still seem to think they are getting a bargain. Everybody knows, you get what you pay for.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:54 pm
good points glitterbag
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:58 pm
To Algis.Kemezys.....Bless you my child, you have become my new favorite internet friend.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 07:14 pm
Algis-you live in Skowhegan? I was always amazed at how the town just sorta moved North a mile or so up 201 when the WalMart and the Supremarket opened by the fairgrounds. Id been stopping an RV at the "2 rivers Campground " for about 10 years and watched the gradual dragging down of Skowhegan.
We havent gone there to deliver wool to Harmony mill (The same mill that was in Stephen Kings NIGHT SHIFT). We now go over the border to New Brunswick to a mill near Fredericton NB.
IS Georges Banana stan stiil there?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:19 pm
It might be but just south of them opened an all purpose gas and coffee/supply store and so I donot know how that affected them.The downtown core is a mess.The spread of wealth taken away.Truely not a happy campers town anymore.
0 Replies