Which is more disturbing: a hit on Ortiz or the $8,700 price?

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 10:33 am
The Dominic Republic has had a lot of issues lately - with tourists mysteriously dying. To a hit on David Ortiz.

What is more disturbing? That someone that seems to be so loved in a country that - there was a hit out on him? Or the fact that the price tag was so low especially considering it was shared by 8 or more people? Is life so cheap there that the risk/reward for this small amount was worth it for them?

At one time I had considered going to DR for a vacation - never had the opportunity - even knowing some co-workers and friends from there. I cannot imagine going there now between these deaths and how a beloved star had been treated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 535 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 02:39 pm
@Linkat,
I'm more concerned with the attempted murder. As is often the case, there's always a person who wants fast cash and places no value on the life of another.
The amount seems small, but, in The Dominican Republic it probably has a much greater buying power than in the U.S.
Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 02:55 pm
@Sturgis,
Who would have realized to what extent it was so bad there - I was told before how beautiful the resorts are and so forth - now granted Papi lived there and his dad and sister still do (why he was there) - he probably isn't hanging at the expensive resorts but with his family.

He said he didn't have a body guard to protect him - he relied on his fans. I doubt he will do that any more. Now granted he has many fans there and they beat the heck out of the one guy.

But yeah to risk killing another person, having you sent to jail for the rest of your life for a $1k? Even if they are very poor and money goes further - after dividing it among the 8+ people involved it comes to about $1 a person. So even if this 1k is 10x the buying power - that is like 10k - is that worth potentially giving up your life in jail and killing someone? Knowing killing this person who is so loved in your country.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 06:24 am
@Linkat,
I wouldn't think this is unique to the D.Rep.

Live is dirt cheap these days everywhere it seems, especially among the gangland culture.

Sure some junkies would kill for the price of their next fix.

Then there's the alcohol fueled rows, it used to be fisticuffs now it's stabbing or worse.
0 Replies

Can2Learn

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 06:52 pm
Wow. I had no idea that was the price tag. I'm shocked that something like that could happen to someone like David Ortiz in his own country, but for only a few thousand dollars? That's crazy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 07:40 am
So the shooting suspect was killed.

"A fugitive who had been accused of helping to plan the June 2019 shooting of former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in Santo Domingo was killed Sunday in the Dominican Republic, according to published reports.

Listin Diario, a Dominican newspaper, reported that the fugitive, Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, also known as “The Surgeon,” was gunned down Sunday afternoon in the city of Santiago."

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2021/09/30/david-ortiz-shooting-suspect-killed-in-dominican-republic-newspaper-reports/
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which is more disturbing: a hit on Ortiz or the $8,700 price?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 07:58:50