Which sentence is punctuated in the British way?

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 02:36 am
John said, “I have just finished reading Browning’s ‘My Last Duchess’.”
John said, “I have just finished reading Browning’s ‘My Last Duchess.’”

Which sentence is punctuated in the British way?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 259 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:03 pm
Could somebody please help? Thanks.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 08:36 pm
Could somebody please reply to my post? Thanks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 09:38 pm
It is possible that there are no experts on British grammar presently active on a2k.

I can tell you that I as an American was taught that the bottom sentence is the proper way. However, I often break this rule and type my sentences in the manner of the top sentence, because I personally find the manner of the top sentence to be logically appealing despite what I was taught.

I have no idea what the rules are for British grammar.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 11:04 pm
@tanguatlay,
I'm not British; however, I would go with the first.

John said, "I have just finished reading Browning's 'My Last Duchess '."

There are quotation marks to indicate what John said and a separate set to indicate the poem which he read. Therefore, the poem title finishes within its quote marks and then the punctuation of a period (.) is placed indicating the conclusion of the sentence, followed by the final quotation marks which show John has finished speaking.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 02:08 am
Thanks to both of you.
0 Replies

viviryki

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 05:36 am
@tanguatlay,
In the American style the initial quote is denoted by double quotation marks(“) and then single quotes (‘) are used for quotations inside the initial quotation.
For example:
“The concept of childhood,” according to Professor Aaron, “is a social construction, and, as John Doe said, ‘is influenced by the norms and values of each era.’”
Single quotes are used in the British style (‘) for initial quotations, then double quotes (“) are used for quotations inside the initial quotation.
‘The concept of childhood’, according to Professor Aaron, ‘is a social construction, and, as John Doe said, “is influenced by the norms and values of each era”’.
These examples also demonstrate that commas and periods are placed inside the quotation marks in the American style, even if they are not present in the original quote. The British style (and this makes more sense or maybe I'm just biased since I'm British) has unquoted periods and commas placed outside the quotation marks.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 06:11 am
Thanks, viviryki.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which sentence is punctuated in the British way?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 10:25:52