A Wink to Cameras?

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 12:31 pm
A Duchess winks at cameras during Trump's visit, and it makes headlines, only to have comments asserting that it meant nothing.

How do you interpret such a wink?

To me, it just seems like a reminder that there are people in the world who delight in indirect, covert communication. Ambiguity and indirectness allow people to avoid having their actions questioned or responded to directly.

But was the wink really a two-faced message through the camera about the situation, or something else? We may never know for sure . . . and yet the fact it made headlines etches it permanently into history.

It reminds me of when Pelosi did her (sarcastic?) clap for Trump's speech, but then claimed it was sincere.

So what do you think? Are such subtly two-faced gestures really two-faced, or are they sincere expressions in some way that get misinterpreted? And how do you know if you're not just white-washing them because you like the idea of smiling to Trump's face and winking behind his back?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 185 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 01:31 pm
@livinglava,
Who knows? Perhaps Camilla, wife of Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall was attempting to get a small bug out of her eye. A flying but which thought, "hey, this would be a groovy time to get back at Camilla for slapping my late Aunt Marloosia and breaking one of her wings."

Perhaps there was an annoying itch. (inappropriate to rub her eye right then)

We may never know.

Quite frankly, I almost feel bad for you, that your existence is so dull and/or sad; that, you spend time being wrapped up in this rather silly matter.
livinglava

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 01:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Who knows? Perhaps Camilla, wife of Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall was attempting to get a small bug out of her eye. A flying but which thought, "hey, this would be a groovy time to get back at Camilla for slapping my late Aunt Marloosia and breaking one of her wings."

Perhaps there was an annoying itch. (inappropriate to rub her eye right then)

We may never know.

Quite frankly, I almost feel bad for you, that your existence is so dull and/or sad; that, you spend time being wrapped up in this rather silly matter.

Yes, I thought the same thing about myself until I reflected on the fact that I was responding to a global media headline that focused on the wink.

I have reflected on what such a headline implies for readers. Are we supposed to read it and then avoid thinking about what the wink means, even though it made headlines?

Maybe we are being tested as to whether we can keep our mouths shut about a wink because it comes from someone in a royal family. I don't know, but I value freedom of thought and speech, so I feel fine discussing it.

If I am to blame for starting a discussion about it, then I'd like to know what people think about the journalists who published a story about it with the wink in the headline.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 01:40 pm
The articles indicate this got going due to some lackluster journalist on their Twitter account. Does it even matter why she winked?

I'm more interested in finding out why the alleged journalist is spending time on Twitter spreading stories (real or photo/video -shopped) instead of reporting actual news.
livinglava

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 01:52 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

The articles indicate this got going due to some lackluster journalist on their Twitter account. Does it even matter why she winked?

I'm more interested in finding out why the alleged journalist is spending time on Twitter spreading stories (real or photo/video -shopped) instead of reporting actual news.

It would matter if it was an intentional message to audiences regarding something that was going on.

If it was just an eye-twitch, of course it wouldn't matter.

It all just depends on what's being communicated, to whom, and how.

If there are private messages being communicated with winks during high-profile meetings between heads-of-state, isn't it obvious that the public would want to know what was being communicated, exactly, and to whom?

I don't think winks always communicate that the person winking is lying or tricking someone else, though. Often that is what is meant by a wink, e.g. someone gives a compliment and then winks to let you know they are BSing the person they're complimenting.

But that's not the only thing a wink can communicate. It can also communicate a positive message, such as "we're having a good time here and I'm giving a little nod of approval about it to you by winking at you."

There may be other meanings the wink could be communicating, or none at all if it was just an involuntary muscle spasm. But when such a wink 1) happens on camera 2) takes place as part of a high-profile meeting between heads-of-state; and 3) makes headlines; I think it's safe to assume many people will want to know what the wink meant.

Interestingly, it may not ever be known because it might just not be worth asking; in which case this discussion about it will just fade away without anything conclusive coming of it; and that would be ok too, right?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Wink to Cameras?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:43:43