Storage Unit Borderline deceptive Advertising

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 12:54 pm
Several months before the end of college, I reached out to several storage places near my daughter's university to rent for the summer. One in particular was advertising a small unit at $39/month with first month free (internet special only). I spoke with them over the phone to get all the details - they explained that they fill up quickly as there are a few colleges in this city and that they do not guarantee your reservation until you come in - in person and pay.

So I figured it was worth using the first month free to book a few weeks before school ended to ensure I got the good rate and the free month (and the unit itself). My daughter went the following weekend and paid the first month after I reserved online (as this was an "online special").

Next we find out they were not giving us the free month and they charged her insurance. I called - got a manager on the phone - they ended up honoring the first month free after I explained that was the reason we booked early and then they explained you had to purchase the insurance - this was never on the online booking. Still it was not a bad price compared to other facilities and it was close by her school with very easy access.

So the first month we just pay the $9 at the office when we moved the rest of her stuff in. For the next payment we pay online - it says I owe $62. What? The fee is $39+$9 - that isn't $62? But since it was after business hours and due the 1st I paid not wanting a late fee and figured I would call in the morning.

So funny thing happens before I call that same day, I get a postcard in the mail from the storage unit telling me this is 30 day notice that the fee is going up by $14 a month next month - so not only did they go up $14 a month over 35% increase knowing that most students renting are out of state and cannot move their stuff out for a couple of months, they also charged me this additional fee one month early.

When I finally get a call back from the manager - she said she will adjust the $14 and I went on to explain I did not like their deceptive advertising scheme. That prior year I rented from Uhaul - which cost me more initially was a bigger unit but in the end since they never changed the price and did not charge a mandatory insurance it ended up being cheaper overall.

The manager was as nice as she could be and explained this is all done at the corporate level and she would communicate it - she tried to explain away that the insurance is for our benefit which I explained that it is all college stuff and really worth much less than the insurance so to be honest the insurance is worthless.

Is there anything I can do about this other than go back to Uhaul which obviously has much more moral and trustworthy business practices?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 219 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 02:58 pm
Are you talking about renting a storage place for just June, July, and August ?

Because this seems to be “premium” rental period for over the summer, they are really socking it to these students.

Decide if , in the end, you will save $ by moving. Time is money, to me. Lesson learned.
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 03:17 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes - as I stated she is a student and we were renting for purposes of storing her stuff for college - not moving. We leave over 10 hours away.

The storage facility noted it was $39 with first month free. We rented end of April through end of August-we rented a few weeks earlier to ensure we could get this unit at the lower price.

Last year we rented through Uhaul -we rented a larger storage unit as several of her friends went in on the rental space. Uhaul did not have smaller units and this facility the price was advertised as less which made sense because the space was smaller. Uhaul kept the same price through the entire time we rented - not went up after the first month.

This facility raised the price starting July 1st.

I was clear to them that I will not rent with them in the future as they use deceptive advertising methods.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:45 pm
If you had a contract for April thru August, then they must honor the quoted written contact cost.

$39 + $9 insurance per month, with first month free.

Otherwise, you are on a month to month and must honor whatever price they have for that month, since you don’t have a fixed price.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Storage Unit Borderline deceptive Advertising
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 03:23:44