Doctors in England try to identify mystery man

Reyn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:35 pm
Doctors in England try to identify mystery man who won't speak but plays piano
at 15:17 on May 16, 2005, EST.
SUE LEEMAN

LONDON (AP) - His suit and tie were dripping wet and he wouldn't say a word despite his agitation. But when hospital staff showed the mysterious man a piano, he started playing and wouldn't stop for two hours.

The man was found wandering aimlessly in a coastal town in southeast England on April 7 and he has refused to communicate ever since, except through music.

"I cannot get within a yard of him without him becoming very anxious," said Michael Camp, the social worker assigned to the tall blond man. "Yet at the piano he comes alive."

Staff at Medway Maritime Hospital launched a search Monday for anyone who knows the man, who is in his 20s or early 30s and was found in the coastal town of Sheerness. He is currently being treated at a psychiatric unit in nearby Dartford.

"Someone, somewhere must be missing him," said Camp. "At the moment we only have six weeks' of history of this man to work on, which makes it very hard."

The British media has likened his case to the Oscar-winning 1996 movie Shine, about acclaimed pianist David Helfgott, who suffered a nervous breakdown while playing. But there appears to be little question the man is any more than an accomplished amateur.

Hospital chaplain the Rev. Steve Spencer said the man "is not the virtuoso that he has been portrayed in the press. He knows a small number of tunes and plays them over and over - I recognized some John Lennon and a snippet from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.

"When he plays, he is totally focused; he cuts out everything else and it makes him calmer."

Hospital staff discovered the man's musical ability after they gave him paper and pencils and he produced a detailed sketch of a grand piano. They showed him to a piano and he played pieces of classical and other music for two hours.

"By the way he plays the piano he is clearly educated and intelligent," said Camp. "If someone comes forward with information then we can take this emotional case forward."

Authorities have released a photograph of the man, who has cropped hair that may have been dyed blonde. They have also released his drawing. Relatives were being urged to call a national missing persons helpline.

Camp said when the man was brought to the hospital "there was nothing obviously wrong with him but because of his presentation the police felt he had a mental health problem."

"He came to us in a smart black suit and tie, which was soaked," he added. "He appears to be very anxious but we have no idea why. He has, as far as we know, committed no crime but we feel he is very vulnerable."

When the man was found, officials initially thought he may have come from a local funeral, but inquiries proved he had not been to any services in the vicinity.

Then interpreters from Poland, Latvia and Lithuania were brought in to see if he was from Eastern Europe, and possibly an asylum seeker, but no one was able to get through to the man.

"There is no doubt that this man is extremely distressed and depressed," said Camp, the social worker. "He has started crying over the last week or so. It may be that some sort of trauma has made him like this."

http://www.cknw.com/shared/cp/xml/oddities/K051608AU.jpg
The unidentified man known as "Piano-man" is picture in the grounds of Medway Maritime Hospital, Gillingham, England, recently. (AP/Mike Gunnill)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,054 • Replies: 21
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 04:37 am
Its an amazing story, like something out of a film.
Cant believe nobody knows who he is!!Somebody must have taught him how to play!!

The mystery continues....
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 04:59 am
That's crazy... *shakes head*.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:46 pm
Wow, the poor guy. He looks like a lost child in the photo. I hope his family shows up soon.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:58 pm
I heard that they used this photo.
http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/image/6551152
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:40 pm
Some follow-up to original story....

English doctors try to identify mystery man who won't speak but plays piano
at 11:03 on May 17, 2005, EST.
SUE LEEMAN

LONDON (AP) - Hospital authorities caring for a patient who refuses to talk but willingly plays the piano for hours said Tuesday they are investigating a number of new leads on his identity.

The tall blond man, who is in his 20s or early 30s, has not said a word since he was found April 7, distressed and dressed in a dripping wet suit, on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent county in southeast England.

When staff at the Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham gave him writing materials, he drew detailed pictures of a grand piano and, when shown the piano in the hospital chapel, sat down and played for two hours, causing staff to nickname him Piano Man.

Baffled staff said their problems have been compounded by the fact that all the labels have been cut off the man's clothes.

"That is a real twist - and it's enough of a mystery without that," said Adrian Lowther, spokesman for the West Kent National Health Service Trust, which is caring for the man at a psychiatric unit in Dartford, England.

"Apart from mentally, the man is healthy, and he is washing himself. But he does not communicate at all, so he cannot receive counselling," Lowther said.

He said a tabloid newspaper has provided the man with a piano. Playing noticeably calms him.

Lowther said the National Missing Persons Helpline has received 320 calls and 70 e-mails after releasing a picture of the man and one of his piano drawings on Monday. The health trust has also received a number of telephone calls.

"We are wading through those with the police. We just hope that in among the calls may be someone who knows him," said Lowther. "But it will take some time."

The British press has likened his case to the Oscar-winning 1996 movie Shine, about acclaimed pianist David Helfgott, who suffered a nervous breakdown while playing. But the man does not seem to be more than an accomplished amateur.

The man remains anxious when he is not playing the piano, said his social worker, Michael Camp.

"Someone, somewhere must be missing him," he said. "At the moment we only have six weeks of history of this man to work on, which makes it very hard."

Hospital chaplain Rev. Steve Spencer said the man "is not the virtuoso that he has been portrayed in the press. He knows a small number of tunes and plays them over and over - I recognized some John Lennon and a snippet from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.

"When he plays, he is totally focused - he cuts out everything else and it makes him calmer."
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:48 am
Someone saw him in an Italian paper and recognised him as a French musician!!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:29 pm
More follow-up.....

Mime artist identifies Britain's mute 'Piano Man' as a French street performer
at 11:56 on May 18, 2005, EST.
MARTA FALCONI

ROME (AP) - Piano Man - the person picked up in England weeks ago who refuses to talk but plays the piano - has been identified as a French street musician by a Polish mime artist who claims he used to work with him, Italian police said Wednesday.

Mario Russo, a spokesman for Rome police, said the 33-year-old Polish mime artist believes the man is Steven Villa Masson, who used to perform with him in the streets of Nice, France.

"He said he's known the man for five years as they worked together in Place de la Justice, in Nice," Russo said.

The immigrant approached police officers stationed at Rome's Trevi Fountain after reading the story of the mysterious man in a newspaper, Russo said.

The tall, blond-haired man, who is in his 20s or early 30s, has not said a word since he was found April 7, distressed and dressed in a dripping wet suit, on the Isle of Sheppey in southeast England.

"The Pole said they used to communicate in both French and English and he seems to remember that the pianist also had family in France," Russo said.

In Britain, social worker Michael Camp, who has been looking after the man at a psychiatric unit, said he would look into the claims by the Pole.

However Camp said that "until we get some really firm evidence where somebody can show us a picture of him, or anything concrete, then it is a possibility and nothing more."

When hospital staff gave the man writing materials, he drew detailed pictures of a grand piano and, when shown the piano in the hospital chapel, sat down and played for two hours, causing staff to nickname him Piano Man.

All the labels had been cut off the man's clothes.

Hundreds of calls have been placed to the British National Missing Persons Helpline and authorities were investigating different leads.

Russo said police were transmitting the Pole's statement to Interpol, which is now investigating the case.

Hospital staff in England ruled out reports that he recently attended a funeral locally.

Meanwhile, interpreters from Poland, Latvia and Lithuania were brought in to see if he was from Eastern Europe, and possibly an asylum seeker, but no one was able to get through to him.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:06 pm
British paper reports man identified by mime as 'Piano Man' found in France
at 17:17 on May 19, 2005, EST.
SUE LEEMAN

LONDON (AP) - A British newspaper reported Thursday that Steven Villa Massone - the man a Polish mime identified as the mysterious 'Piano Man' being cared for in an English hospital - has been tracked down in southern France.

The West Kent National Health Trust, which is caring for the man, said 700 people have called and more than 150 have sent e-mails offering clues about the identity of the man, who has not spoken since he was found, distressed and soaking wet, on the Isle of Sheppey April 7.

Social workers said a tip from a Polish mime living in Italy, who said the man is a French street musician, has not led to anything. Dariusz Dydymski had said he was "99 per cent certain" the pianist was Massone, with whom he had worked in the French resort of Nice.

But Britain's Independent newspaper reported Thursday that it had tracked down Massone in Nice.

"I found out this morning when I saw in the Italian papers that he had said that man was me," the Independent quoted Massone as saying. "I didn't understand what had happened and suddenly I had lots of calls asking if I was the pianist."

Reports that surfaced in British newspapers Thursday speculating that the man could be a Canadian eccentric have also not been verified.

Social worker Michael Camp, who is caring for the mystery pianist, said as many as 300 possible identities were being investigated, both in Britain and overseas, but he declined to give details.

"These have to be kept highly confidential," he said. "Names are being bandied about. It's not very helpful.

"It's a long process and I understand why, in the absence of any information from us, people in the media are coming up with things."

The man, who remains in a psychiatric unit in Dartford, England, is still drawing pictures and writing music of his own, Camp said.

"I don't think this is somebody who was living a normal life until April 7 and suffered a trauma," he said. "I think it's somebody who has been tipped over the edge."

Hospital officials released photograph Monday of the man, who is tall and thin with blond hair and believed to be in his 20s or early 30s.

He drew intricate pictures of pianos for staff at the Medway Maritime Hospital at Gillingham, where he was first taken, and performed snippets of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and the music of John Lennon on the chapel piano.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:19 am
When I first heard of this man, I thought he must be autistic.

Now, hearing how the labels are removed from his clothes, I don't know.
Possibly a hoax?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:21 am
For what end?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:28 am
Fame.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:31 am
material girl wrote:
Fame.

More like infamy....and maybe get charged with something.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:33 am
Be a cool story if its real.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:09 am
Some people don't care what kind of attention they get - even if it's negative.

Look at our "runaway bride". She had to know she'd get caught. But she had her 15 minutes.

I'm trying to keep an open mind - I think it can go either way.

Keep us posted Reyn - I don't get to watch the news much - and would probably miss the outcome.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:38 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Keep us posted Reyn - I don't get to watch the news much - and would probably miss the outcome.

You bet! I'm always on the lookout for unusual and interesting news stories and facts, etc.... Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
Has anyone heard any more about if this guy was identified?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
Nope. Nada. Nil. Nix. Nothing....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:35 am
well dag nabbit!

maybe he was a du pont or something and they just hushed the whole thing up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:25 am
Quote:
Mystery "Piano Man" discharged from care

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:24 PM BST

LONDON (Reuters) - A man who baffled police and care workers after being found wandering in a soaking wet suit near a southern English beach, refusing to speak, has been discharged after four months in care.

The man was dubbed the "Piano Man" by the media after supposedly giving a virtuoso piano performance while being treated in a psychiatric unit, where doctors failed to identify him despite being inundated with hundreds of suggestions.

A spokesman for the West Kent NHS and Social Care Trust said on Monday the man had been released after making a "marked improvement" but would not give any further details.

A report in the Daily Mirror newspaper said the man had finally broken his silence, revealing that he was German and had been trying to commit suicide after losing his job in Paris when he was picked up by police.

The newspaper said he had previously worked with mentally ill patients and had copied some of their characteristics. He has now returned to Germany, it said.

Doctors were quoted four months ago as saying the man had drawn a grand piano after being given a pen and paper and had later played classical music on a chapel piano for hours.

The Mirror cast doubt on that, saying he could "hardly play a note".
Source
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Doctors in England try to identify mystery man
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:25:40