internet chatrooms are they safe?

jeeb

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:00 am
what security measures should be taken on internet chatrooms?how do u know who someone really is ?anyone got any ideas? Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 498 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:30 am
You do not know who someone *really* is. That's the beauty of most chatrooms: anonymity.

For full and more or less perfect security, never reveal your real name, email address, phone number, location or password(s). And, of course, don't accept files sent to you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:24 pm
And, do not follow any of the links presented. Do I need to say that again?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:23 pm
You should assume that everyone you talk in a chat room to is a serial killer even though this assumption is not always correct.

As long as you do that, you will be OK.

(and don't follow any of the links presented...)
0 Replies

jeeb

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:48 pm
but what if you really trust someone?
if you trust someone and youre sure they are just a normal person.whot do you do?? Question
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:53 pm
In that case, you just might exchange phone numbers. Now, at this point, security is out the window. Hope you haven't been deceptive about your name, because they can find that out, and a great deal more, but what the heck. If you ever plan on more than internet chat, you're going to have to take such a step eventually.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:13 pm
Jeeb,

I am a bit curious about the details behind your question. I am assuming you are a teenager, or young adult?

Think of it this way in real life ... there are rapists, child molesters, serial killers and worse.

Let's say you are a child molester/muderer... what are you going to do with the Internet. You are going to pretend to be a "normal person", perhaps even pretending to be another teenager.

When you have a potential victim's trust you are going to convince them to give you information that makes them vulnerable (like their address or personal information that could be used psychologically against them). Then you going to either go to their house, or lure them to a place that they are vulnerable.

The key to a successful kidnapping, rape etc. is to make your victim trust you. Internet chat rooms are a great place for these jerks to find victims who can be tricked into trusting them.

This is the reason why with Internet chat rooms, you need to have a strong healthy suspicion and fear. The fact is that you don't really have any way to know anything about this person, other than what he has told you.

If you are a teenager and especially if you are female, you should absolutely not give your address, phone number or any other personal information that would put you at risk to anyone that you meet in a chat room. Period. There are creeps out there and we can be very persuasive.

Several years ago, I met someone on the Internet (not a chat room) that I wanted to meet in person. Even I, as a 30 something not-too-vulnerable male, was cautious. We met in a safe public place that was mutually agreed and this person had absolutely no information about where I lived or anything else that would allow them to harm me.

If you must, at least do this.

Look, they let anyone on the Internet. Be safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:06 pm
Look, they let anyone on the internet, be safe.
Words to make part of your mind.

On the good side, after months and years of hearing and seeing each other post on a forum like this one that is well moderated, some of us have gotten to meet in person. I've met several a2kers and have to say I didn't have any fear except that we might miss each other. Years of talking went into that lack of fear - no, not weeks - and the people I have met in real life have been mature. Sometimes well matured, like myself.

But, if you are dealing with a chat room - geez louise, be careful. Give out very little information if you do at all.
Anonymity empowers people to talk - speaking to someone on a train about matters of the heart is just about a cliche by now, and the instinct is close to universal, as one is protected by the anonymity. The internet is like a train that way.
And there are really train robbers.
First, take care of yourself.
0 Replies

jeeb

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:46 pm
like im that stupid
like im stupid enough to meet up with them!!! im an older teenager to answer somebodies question and i was just bein cautious about wot to do.thanks you guys helped loads Very Happy
0 Replies