Teachers to use hip-hop /rap music to teach proper English

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:13 am
Singapore begins social engineering plan, targeting local version of English
at 8:57 on May 13, 2005, EST.

SINGAPORE (AP) - Singapore's prime minister launched the country's latest behaviour modification campaign on Friday, urging teachers to use hip-hop and rap music to teach proper English and warning that continued use of the mutated local form of the language could make Singaporeans unintelligible.

"Speak in a normal Singapore tone, which is neutral and intelligible," Lee Hsien Loong said. "But speak in full sentences, with proper sentence structure and cutting out all the 'lahs' and 'lors' at the end of each sentence."

Lee was referring to two words commonly added to the end of sentences in "Singlish" - a mishmash of English and local dialects.

"Can or not? I think can," he said, using another commonly used phrase in Singlish.

The city-state is well known for its numerous social engineering campaigns, most of which are government-backed. Singapore in the past has urged its citizens to wave at fellow motorists, flush public toilets, be more romantic and arrive at wedding receptions on time.

Lee urged teachers to use "pop songs, hip-hop and rap as mediums for teaching good English."

"If our English becomes too mutated, then we become unintelligible to others," he said. "If we speak in a dialect which only some Singaporeans can understand, then we are handicapping ourselves and cutting ourselves off from the rest of the world."

The administration began waging war on Singlish in 2000 and attacked the country's most popular TV character, Phua Chu Kang, blaming his use of Singlish for a rise in bad grammar among citizens.

Critics have denounced the numerous behavioural campaigns as Orwellian and condescending.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,823 • Replies: 9
No top replies

smog

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:41 am
Re: Teachers to use hip-hop /rap music to teach proper Engli
Reyn wrote:
Critics have denounced the numerous behavioural campaigns as Orwellian and condescending.

Hey, I'd love to be taught by listening to Nas and Nappy Roots all day.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:05 pm
Re: Teachers to use hip-hop /rap music to teach proper Engli
smog wrote:
Hey, I'd love to be taught by listening to Nas and Nappy Roots all day.

However, if speaking the King's English is your objective, better to learn from Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel.

For anybody who wants to learn more about Singlish, here's an amusing link: www.talkingcock.com
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:36 pm
ifnya nont unnastan, axe sumbody!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:41 am
Not sure
At first, I was going to say "great, anything that will help children learn the language". But then, like so much in life has a positive, and negative side to it. I would like to hear both opinions before I vote.

I am a fan of some rap songs, and some rap poetry.

This is my 2 Cents

AE
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:24 pm
UGH!! no wonder American scholars are lacking education and having problems verbalising.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:29 am
Here is a case were you can easily imagine the suggested use of hip-hop and pop songs was taken completely out of context to destroy the credibility of the Singaporean administration. What was missing was Lee Hsien Loong's urging that all Singaporeans read the "What are you pet peeves re English usage" thread of A2K.

Regardless, the idea of using pop songs, hip-hop, or rap music to teach English is not worthy of debate without some knowledge of the proposed methodology. It isn't difficult to imagine that good and poor usage alike can be used to teach proper English and such examples abound in pop music.

The real point of contention here is whether government-backed language-reform movements have, as is suggested in this article, an Orwellian taint. (I hope Francis will weigh in on this as France is quite famous for its efforts.) From this article, I see no evidence of it, but we are talking about Singapore; the language laws are sure to follow.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 12:17 am
Valpower wrote:
Here is a case were you can easily imagine the suggested use of hip-hop and pop songs was taken completely out of context to destroy the credibility of the Singaporean administration. What was missing was Lee Hsien Loong's urging that all Singaporeans read the "What are you pet peeves re English usage" thread of A2K.

Regardless, the idea of using pop songs, hip-hop, or rap music to teach English is not worthy of debate without some knowledge of the proposed methodology. It isn't difficult to imagine that good and poor usage alike can be used to teach proper English and such examples abound in pop music.

The real point of contention here is whether government-backed language-reform movements have, as is suggested in this article, an Orwellian taint. (I hope Francis will weigh in on this as France is quite famous for its efforts.) From this article, I see no evidence of it, but we are talking about Singapore; the language laws are sure to follow.

I may be missing something, Valpower, but I don't see much difference between the arguments in your second paragraph and those in the third.

What's the difference between [and please correct if I've mischaracterized this] government imposed language laws of the French or Spanish variety and the kind you envision that describe "good and poor usage" leading us to that nebulous but ubiquitous, "proper English".
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 02:18 am
JTT wrote:
I may be missing something, Valpower, but I don't see much difference between the arguments in your second paragraph and those in the third.

What's the difference between [and please correct if I've mischaracterized this] government imposed language laws of the French or Spanish variety and the kind you envision that describe "good and poor usage" leading us to that nebulous but ubiquitous, "proper English".

I think I was trying to steer away from the suggested topic of discussion, the use of hip-hop to teach English (from the subject heading "Teachers to use hip-hop /rap music to teach proper English") and channel it towards a discussion of the appropriateness of government-mandated language standards. The article's assertion is that this latest campaign represent another step towards totalitarianism, yet nothing in the article suggests that this effort has any teeth.

In the second paragraph, I was suggesting that we can't effectively debate the use of hip-hop and rap as a tool for learning proper English since we know nothing about how it's to be accomplished. In the third paragraph I was establishing the salient topic (without opining directly nor evisioning anything, really); to what degree should the government excercise control over language use?

Now, to weigh in. In general, I favor government control of language use only to the extent that it can be accomplished through the curricular standards of public schooling. Beyond that and matters of public safety I can't see the point in government intervention. While I can't say I'm well informed on the various levels to which governments have tried to control language use, my concern would always center around it's usefulness, necessity, and fairness.

Quote:
Web Anglais? Non, S'il Vous Plait

Special Report by Ashley Craddock

When Quebec computer-store owner Morty Grauer got a letter telling him to get rid of his Web page or change it, or else, he rolled over. But he wasn't happy about it.
"I don't need subpoenas, fines, or going to court," Grauer told The Montreal Gazette. "But what gets my goat is when they make me do something. I'm enraged right now. How can they tell you what to do on the Internet?"
But according to Quebec's Office de la Langue Française, they can do it pretty easily - jurisdictional issues notwithstanding. Because Grauer's Web site was in English, because it was on a Quebecois server, and because it had no French component, his microbytes.com was illegal, plain and simple.

"The Micro-Bytes Web page violated the Charter of the French Language," spokesman Gerald Paquette said Monday. So on 29 May, the OLF sent Grauer a letter, threatening to revoke his certificate of "francization," a legal necessity for businesses with 50-plus employees. Grauer has said he will comply as of 1 July.

Crafted in the pre-Internet 1970s, Quebec's Charter of the French Language stipulates that commercial publications such as catalogs, brochures, leaflets, and commercial directories must be available in French. It also denies English-language education to immigrants, even those from English-speaking countries. (A separate Canadian federal law on bilingualism has a much more limited scope, requiring the government to publish information in both English and French.)

In the separationist furor that has raged over Quebec for decades, the charter has been a highly controversial bulwark against anglicization and cultural dilution. In Montreal, large businesses are bilingual. On the streets, English words are no longer displayed. In homes and schools, the phrase, "le weekend," common parlance in France, is almost never heard.

But whether or not the 20-year-old charter will have any teeth in the age of the Internet and free trade remains unclear.

Although the charter has been relatively successful in terms of maintaining linguistic purity, its economic effects have been harsh: An estimated 300,000 residents and 1,000 businesses have left the province since the law was passed. And the Internet is expected to exact a high toll for such linguistic balkanization: An estimated 90 percent of online communications are in English, only 2 percent in French.

In France itself, where linguistic purity campaigns have recently taken on some degree of political chic, language activists have sued three sites under a 1994 law that bans single-language advertising in any language but French. The suits, which would have tested the law's application to Web sites for the first time, were dismissed last week on a technicality.

In the free-speech-happy Internet, however, a four-year-old United Nations ruling may prove the most ominous indicator for attempts to enforce language purity: After reviewing the case of an English-speaking Canadian forced to call his funeral home a "salon funéraire," The UN's Human Rights Council found that the Canadian charter was in violation of the free-speech provision of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Still, the Office de la Langue Française is determined to hold the linguistic line.

"Quebec wants to be a player in the global market, but there's a real chance it will erode our sense of language, of identity," Paquette said. "It's the same thing with the Internet: We feel threatened by it. It gives us the possibility of communicating with French speakers in France, Belgium, Switzerland, and North Africa, but English is the lingua franca of the Web. If we don't enforce this law, that'll only be more true in the future."
0 Replies

jwalker

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:24 am
i live in s'pore and to be honest, nobody's going to stop speaking singlish.It is getting way over board now and if they wanted to do something about it, the government should have acted sooner.
As for the newly suggested method, it is going to ruin the way s'porens speak now.In rap music there's the use of different types of slangs and by using that and singish, soon we'll be the laughing stock of the world.
The funny thing is, s'poreans seem to think that their usage of english is correct and snort at the tv whenever the actor pronounces a word differently.
The bottom line - the new method's never going to work
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Teachers to use hip-hop /rap music to teach proper English
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:27:56