Possible Stromatolite fossil???

Blitz11

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 02:33 am
I found what appears to be stromatolite fossils on top of a large hill in Jinan, Shandong Province, China. The rocks in question are fine grained sedimentary rock. Not too far from the site I found limestone. Besides from comparing pictures are there any rules of thumb for stromatolite ID?

rajvardhansharma

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 04:43 am
@Blitz11,
Stromatolites are defined as laminated accretionary structures that have synoptic relief (i.e., they stick up above the seafloor). Stromatolite-building communities include the oldest known fossils, dating back some 3.5 billion years when the environments of Earth were too hostile to support life as we know it today.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 07:45 pm
@rajvardhansharma,
you will normally find the interlayring of the fine sediments and cyanophytes (primarily) If you are able , in your sampl to look at it under a scope (are you familiar with thin sectioning?) you can see the masses of the cyanophytes and the sediments. They generally are domal or flatly convex toward the paleo sky (Thats why their are good indicators of "up" and "down" in folded limestones. Many times, in one type of habit, they can be confused with a wholly sedimentary body called a stylolite. (Stylolites have nothing to do with being a fossil, but are a contact zone between two different kind of seds that are undergoing compression.

0 Replies

Blitz11

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 10:17 pm
Thanks to the both of you!!! Here is a link to a picture of them I wish they had better contrast but of course they are formed from the same sedimentary rock that surrounds them.

https://ibb.co/0MkV46W
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Possible Stromatolite fossil???
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:18:20